Which bandsaw for hobbyist

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all needing some advice as I’m looking for a bandsaw which has the capability to resaw hardwood. I had a very cheap Titan TTB705BDS 80mm Electric Bandsaw 230-240V. I have room for a stand-alone. Looking at the Axminster range and the one I’d like is AXMINSTER PROFESSIONAL AP2552B BANDSAW - 230V but think this is probably way to expensive and high spec for my needs. The one I’m possibly leaning towards is the AW1950B. Any recommendations?

I am sure you will get plenty of similar suggestions, but have you considered second hand? Bandsaws are pretty simple and tend to last.

If you wanted to go for a similar specification, these look comparable but a lot cheaper:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1130861707871107/https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1406914573215084/
Alternatively you could get a lot more machine for similar money:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1256303928338637
I have an ancient Kity 613 and the age has never been a problem, but I have frequently wished for a greater depth of cut.

I have the 1950 and it's OK for my modest needs, mostly blanks for turning, but I wouldn't particularly recommend it. You can resaw Hardwoods but nowhere near the theoretical capacity. Tensioning and blade tracking are a bit hit and miss and the culumn height adjustment often needs a tweak to bring it back to straight. On the plus side, the dust extraction works well with just a shop vac, and blade changes are easy once you get the knack because the slot runs laterally, yiu don't need to remove the fence guide each time. The later Record Power Sabre series look good to me from what I've seen in showrooms so worth a look. In any event budget for a blade or few, the general purpose blades that they come with don't suit all needs. Having the right blade for the right job makes a huge difference. Have a look on the Tuffsaws website for blade types. Axminster do some decent "Wednesday workshop" Bandsaw videos on you tube. Once you have a Bandsaw you find it useful for all kinds of things you never imagined.

+1 for Record Power. Check the maximum depth of cut if you're resawing. A larger machine will generally give you more options. As others have said, the second hand market is worth exploring to get something well made, more power, bigger wheels, wider blade (at an appropriate tension) etc.

I use the Axminster 1950B to resaw beech, making use of the bandsaw's full height capacity. It's a slow process, and the saw stalls several times during the lengthy cut. However, it manages to get through each cut eventually. Patience and a sharp blade are necessary.

As @Richard_C mentioned, the 1950B does have some bothersome inherent design flaws. Yet, for non-production use, these issues are not insurmountable obstacles.

+1 for Record Power. Check the maximum depth of cut if you're resawing. A larger machine will generally give you more options. As others have said, the second hand market is worth exploring to get something well made, more power, bigger wheels, wider blade (at an appropriate tension) etc.
^^ This. I’ve got the RP300e, it’s fine for 99% of what I need making small furniture and boxes etc… only twice have I really wanted a bigger resaw capacity. With a sharp blade it’s plenty powerful enough to plough through hardwoods.
I had a look at Yandles yesterday and they had a few reductions floating about on RP machines, might be worth a look.

I have the RP Sabre 350 and can thoroughly recommend it. I went for it over the Axi because (at the risk of opening a can of worms) the Sabre series has more sensible blade guides. One downside is the dust extraction which could be better.

I made a wheeled plywood cabinet base* for the S350 in which I store all my blades; the metal cabinet base that comes with the saw interferes with the RP wheel kit... not a problem if you won't need to move it around.

* there are photos of the base on another thread on here about the Sabre 350, can't find it just now

Hey @moosepig
Just wondered if I could ask the dimensions from table to base of wheel housing unit (not the metal under cabinet)

I've estimated from photos it must be around 500mm given the table to floor quoted with cabinet is 1000mm or so

Many thanks

I have been extremely happy with my Hammer N2 35 which looks like it is made in the same factory as the Record equivalent, but costs more.

Hey @moosepig
Just wondered if I could ask the dimensions from table to base of wheel housing unit (not the metal under cabinet)

I've estimated from photos it must be around 500mm given the table to floor quoted with cabinet is 1000mm or so

Many thanks
Good guess - 532mm from top of table to bottom of the wheel housing unit.

My cabinet is less tall than the factory supplied one as I needed to lower the overall height of the saw due to ceiling restrictions. It makes for a lower working table height but that suits me.

Thanks very much @moosepig

Am replacing my little 10" with this one. If I put collapsible wheels on the cabinet the table height will actually be the same as the sabre 250 meaning I can put the dust ex under the machine again (prefer higher table)

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back