Bandsaw "Wavy" cuts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
The cuts on my bandsaw are all a bit wavy... This, I'm guessing, is probably due to the blade not being sufficiently tensioned. However, I have a question... when checking blade tension by deflection, is the deflection measured with the bearings set or slackened off?

matt":qy3uetva said:
The cuts on my bandsaw are all a bit wavy... This, I'm guessing, is probably due to the blade not being sufficiently tensioned. However, I have a question... when checking blade tension by deflection, is the deflection measured with the bearings set or slackened off?
Sounds like the tension is too slack. I always check the tension on my machine with bearings in the normal operating position - Rob

Bandsaw blade tensioning is a black art, I am yet to master. Be patient young padawan. :D

Tell me about it... I've added more tension (although the shift in blade deflection is barely perceptible...) and the cuts are better but still very rough.

I'm using the blade that came with the saw which appears to be 3 tpi, 10mm. I know this is likely to be a poor blade but I'm sure I can do better with it.

The cuts are really odd... following the vertical line of the cut, the top 60% is riddled with grooves and the last 30% is quite smooth.

I don't really get it...

Try a better quality blade.

Think Dragon Saws.

matt":ut4w3ztb said:
Tell me about it... I've added more tension (although the shift in blade deflection is barely perceptible...) and the cuts are better but still very rough.

I'm using the blade that came with the saw which appears to be 3 tpi, 10mm. I know this is likely to be a poor blade but I'm sure I can do better with it.

The cuts are really odd... following the vertical line of the cut, the top 60% is riddled with grooves and the last 30% is quite smooth.

I don't really get it...

Sounds like your movin to fast,slow down on the pushing....

matt":pcwa1xp0 said:
I'm using the blade that came with the saw

I don't really get it...

That's probably the cause of the problem. Consign to the bin and get a decent one.
Live long and pr.... :oops: wrong film :lol: - Rob

Matt - would you let us know how you get on, please. I am wondering if a new blade might improve my Perform bandsaw. Either that or it goes to landfill.

Another vote for Dragon Saws. Blade that came with my bandsaw was OK for a while - then started doing all the nonsense mentioned above.

Dragon sorted me out quickly and advised on blade choices for my machine and what i do with it. First blade is still in use and working fine and has already done more than the 'original'.

Matt, have you lowered the guides so they are just above the workpiece, and don't forget the lower guides under the table.

Regards,

Rich.

If you're checking the blade for deflection when setting the tension then the guides should be about 6" above the table (depending on the size of your saw, of course).

Another fan of Dragon Saws blades and service here. :wink:

If you're having these problems with ripping cuts then it may help to check that the fence is adjusted for blade drift (the true direction in which the blade is cutting - can be different for individual blades.) Take a piece of scrap (ideally MDF with no grain) that has one straight edge and scribe a pencil line parallel to this edge. Now, cut to the line as best as you can, stop when you reach halfway and clamp the MDF in place - or, draw a pencil line on your table. Offer the fence up to this and you should be able to see if it needs adjustment. :)

woodbloke":37huanc2 said:
matt":37huanc2 said:
I'm using the blade that came with the saw

I don't really get it...

That's probably the cause of the problem. Consign to the bin and get a decent one.
Live long and pr.... :oops: wrong film :lol: - Rob

9 times out of 10 it is best to bin any blade that ' comes with the tool', whatever it is !

a decent blade makes it a completely different tool to use .

If the blade is rubbish then your just wasting your time trying to get the machine set up properly as no matter what you do the blade will just wander all over the place.

It's surprising how much difference a decent blade can make on any machine.
With bandsaws it can be really frustrating trying to get everything right and altering things on the machine itself when all it really needs is a decent blade.

It's a shame that the bandsaw manufacturers don't supply a decent blade to start with as I'm sure a lot of people get so frustrated with a new bandsaw because it can be a pain to get running properly that they don't even try a different blade and then the bandsaw doesn't get the use that it should.

Ian

Bear in mind narrow blades tend to wander in the kerf a bit (and cut straight but with a slight wobble) - you need a bit of room in the kerf for the blade if you are cutting curly curves, but it does allow some wander in a straight cut. A 3/4" or more blade will not wander like a 1/4". Thus a small bandsaw doesn't loose out to a larger one very much if you're cutting curves, but a bigun will be better for straight cutting.

You could be getting some vibration if your table has not got a good zero tolerance slot - try cutting through some sacrificial board to give a zero tolerance throat?

Rod

Back