Bandsaw tables

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been toying with the idea of making a plywood table to sit on top of the bandsaw table and extend it about 6 inches or so in all directions (except frontwards).
I can foresee one problem with tilting the table and presumably this is why tables don't go left as far as the saw body but it seems to me that the advantages of a bigger table would far outweigh the hassle of removing it for the very occasional times when I might want to bevel cut on it.
Has anybody done this ? Are there any other reasons not to ?

If you wanted to bevel cut while the ply table is on you could make an insert thats removable where the blade goes through or you could make that cut for the blade at an angle to account for it.

I just went out and had another look at the bandsaw. I was thinking the tilt was the reason for stopping the table so far from the frame but it actually tips the other way ( never used the tilt :) ) so why are they so small ?

Hi, Graham

This is what I did with my Startrite 352, its just a off cut of beech block worktop and a couple of lenghts of studing, it helps a lot just that small increase in the size of the table.
Might bung a lump on the other side.

DSC_0006-2.jpg

Pete

I often use my band saw resawing and cutting boards from logs. To take the weight and length I use a couple of roller stands front and back. They are far from ideal and fiddly to get setup just right so I've been toying with the idea making up a pair of in and out feed tables. Something with legs that would also clamp on the cast iron bandsaw and give a really rigid long table. They would need to fold up for storage and be quick to install when needed.

I have heard of tables being extended in Oz. just bear in mind balance, I would think you could topple a BS if things were not quite right.

@Graham,

Funnily enough I've been wondering exactly the same thing myself ("why are bandsaw tables so small?" - i.e. relative to the actual throat of the machine). So I've also been considering making a new ply "overtable" to suit the "real" dimensions of the machine.

But apart from the fact that I'm away from the workshop right now (again!) I'm also a devout coward so will wait to hear how you get on with your "overtable" before I embark on my own version.

One thing did cross my mind however - my machimne is v small, only 8" dia wheels - so that it may be better to remove the present metal table completely and replace it with a bigger ply (or plastic laminate?) version. That way I'll keep the present max depth of cut - an "overtable" will of course reduce max available depth of cut by the thickness of the "overtable" material which will have to be at least 3/4".

Any thoughts anyone?

Krgds
AES

I have also been concerned about the balance, it does seem to need a wider base. I have mine on a trolley with a slightly wider wheelbase which helps a little but could be wider still. Extending the table backwards would only help though.

AES - If I decide to do it I will put up pics for you :)

There are several designs around for extended front and rear tables for resawing on bandsaws, including one in the Fine Woodworking compilation of articles bound as "FW on Woodworking Machines".
Have just been trying to convert my larch trunks using the 352 with freestanding roller stands front and back. It works, but something like the FW design would be a lot easier and probably more accurate.

Like the suggestion about a lefthand extension for the 352 table - it's gone on the "tuit" list :)

Latest posts

Back