Bandsaw rubber tyres

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepi

Reaction score
I am trying to locate some new rubber tyers for an old three wheel machine.
The wheels measure 299mm X 20mm (not including rubber tread).
Can anyone point me in the right direction please

If anything like mine you have to buy expensive new wheels as the tyres are bonded on. But they clean up OK and have been going now for 30 years on the originals.

cheers
Jacob

Hi thanks for coming back on this.
The saw came out of the arc but is extremely well engineered and was used by my grandfarther. The tyers on one of the wheels has all but disintegrated. but the machine is other than that butifull and has a deep throat, which is extremely useful. The machine has a logo "S.P" ? on the outer cover, the blade is 94" the wheel size is 299mmX20mm X 3.
Any help would be very appreciated.
Cheers Pete

Hi Pepi,

How about putting on your own rubber??
If you search EYP for rubber suppliers and merchants in your area, you should find sources for strip and sheet rubber. 3-5mm thick and a good hard rubber should be fine. Tell then what you want it for as they usually have knowlegable people in these places. They should stock the correct adhesives too athough proper evo stick (not this water based stuff) should do the job.
Clean the wheels to get a smooth, clean dust free surface. Stick on the rubber, trim the end to a butt joint. When dry, the wheels can be slightly crowned to assist blade tracking.

Good Luck

Bob

If all other sources fail to produce results an inner tube could be cut up to fit, and you'll have spares to leave to your grand children too! :)

Band saw wheel rubber is normally much harder than the rubber used on inner tubes and it is vulcanized for better wear characteristics. You need to find a company who recovers printing machine rollers and the like to get just such a service. There was a firm in Manchester called Redfern who used to offer a band saw wheel recovering service but apparently they no longer do so :cry: . I believe that Woodsmith did find someone to do this job for him a year or so back.

An alternative to vulcanised rubber might be to consider rubberised compressed cork, a more traditional wheel covering. Rolls of compressed cork are available from, amongst others, Scott & Sargent.

Whatever is used please note that it might be necessary to rebalance the wheels if there is much vibration once the recovering has been done.

Scrit

Have used this company a few times in the past:

Recovery Rollers
Unit 11, Western Industrial Estate, Ponthir Rd, Caerleon, Newport, Gwent NP18 3NN
Tel: 01633 430814

They are local to us so not sure if they do a postal service but could be worth phoning them.

They done a great job on re-vulacanising and re-balancing some old Wadkin wheels that we had here.

No affiliation with the company etc etc....

Ian

Back