bandsaw or tablesaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm come back again around wood :)
You are wondering: where did you be? Well, my mind was captured about solar panel to warm the house and I was on a tv repairing. Results? Much theory and nothing of practical. Until now 8)

Let's come on wood... You know (at least who remember me) I'm an hand tools lover. But how someone said there is a moment in the entire process of building a furniture piece when the use of power tool doesn't do to say that piece is made with power tools but with hand tools. That furniture is still hand made. That moment could be when we saw and resawing a table. It's so hard to do with hand saw or frame saw. Or at least it requires moooore time. :cry: Which isn't HER standard :roll: .
In the future I must build some doors to protect the inner doors of my house, therefore for theese and for those reasons I'm convinced to purchase a saw.
I'm confused about table or band.
Can someone explain me the principal differences between the two, and what can one do with one and with the other? I think, I'll use the saw essentially to saw and resaw because I think I'll do the other tasks more precisely by hand. Power tools doesn't forgive :? .

Geppeto

This is a very big question and you will get many answers.

I would say, the simplest differences are:
Table saw needs more space and can cut wide boards but can usually only cut around 75mm deep

Bandsaw needs less space and cannot easily be used to cut wide boards. Bandsaw may have 150-300mm depth of cut though and can be used to "resaw" wood - possibly make your own veneer or cut 50mm thick board into two 25mm boards fior instance. Bandsaws are generally though to be a little safer to use to use than tablesaws

I have both and use both about equally often.

I think for your doors either will be fine.

Tony":22afa2uv said:
Bandsaw needs less space and cannot easily be used to cut wide boards.

Hi Tony,
Why bandsaw cannot easily cut wide boards? Does it be for its limited plane surface, perhaps :roll: ? In that case, how much is the maximum width someone can cut?
I think If I haven't to trim large panels, I could have only the bandsaw,couldn't I?

Cheers
Gabriele

Gabriele

Yes, you could use a bandsaw for your doors.

The reason the bandsaw cannot cut so wide is the frame. The maximum cut is the distance between the frame and the blade and is usually quoted in advertisements.

For example, this one will cut 155 wide (on frame side) and 160mm deep. Of course, the other (right) side of the blade has no frame to limit the cut width. Sometimes, this 155mm (or whatever the bandsaw has as a limit) can be a problem.

The very first piece of machinery (note: not power tool!) I bought myself was a small 10" table saw from Fox/Delta France early last year. If I had the chance to go back in time no and instead save that £180 lost and put it towards a bandsaw, I'd do just that.

It's not that I don't like the saw or anything, although it has given me grief at times, I've come to realise that even a small saw like this needs more space that I simply do not have. And after Good Woodworking's argument last month, I've realised a bandsaw can do all the jobs I need and a few more (as mentioned earlier in this thread).

If you do want a table saw, you're better off going for one of a decent size with plenty of space for it. Otherwise, a bandsaw with a reasonable depth of cut will make you happy AND save you space.

Tablesaw - only straight cuts
Bandsaw - curved cuts, straight cuts needing slightly more effort to set up.

The bandsaw's more flexible in what it can do and compliments hand tool use better than a tablesaw, in my opinion. I'd go for the bandsaw.

Cheers, Alf

Both tools are handy to have in a workshop, howver if I want to cut a small piece of timber I would not feel safe near the tablesaw.

I have a bandsaw and a small table saw. I find that the bandsaw gets far more use than the table saw, especially as I now have a portable circular saw, which I find much easier for cutting up large sheets.

Might I suggest that a band saw and a portable circular saw would give the optimium solution in your case?

Regards

Gary

Hi Gepetto,

I am absolutely with Taffy here. In a small workshop you are best off with a bandsaw. When you have to cut large boards use a portable circular saw outside.

Hans

I use the Elu flipover saw as my table saw and find it far a better finish than my band saw , then again ive not thought of using the band saw for ripping just doing tenons . I find a band saw blade wonders too much for what i need .

I cut some perfect tenons and ripped up some hardwood then created some veneers a couple of weeks ago when doing a review for some blades supplied by Dragon Saws.
So perhaps next time give them a trial but a bandsawn piece of timber will almost certainly need dressing after a cut if a finish is required.

Back