bandsaw motor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moby

Established Member
Reaction score
picked up my bandsaw today from the joinery shop. Ive been a tad busy this year and paid £50 for it about 4 months ago. i'm changing the motor on it because its 3 phase. am i right in assuming if its 750w motor on 3phase a 750w single phase motor will perform the same?

its a whitehead junior 3ph, 750w, 1425rpm.

thanks in advance for any suggestions!

No, 750 w (1 hp.) may be enough for your needs but single phase won't give you the same torque.

I personally would go for a 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hp single phase motor.

very roughly (950-1200 watts)

You also need to make sure it is a 4 pole motor (1,500rpm) or you will have to change the pulley.

Bill

thanks for the replies.
just to throw another handful into the mix, would there be any benefits/snags (apart from cost and faffing about) of changing the motor from star to delta and rewiring using 240v (l+n) and capacitors?

would the torque be the same as 3 ph? (i doubt it)
the reason i ask is the 3ph motor looks quite new (now I've taken it off)

I served my time with a sparky from aerospace and have done 3 phase supplies on factories, shops and hospitals etc. no 3ph motor change overs tho (star to delta) etc... so do have quite a good background in electrics although basic stuff.

any help greatly appreciated.

Suspect you won't have enough torque, might be ok for a pillar drill but a bandsaw?

Going to delta and running it off an electronic 1ph to 3 ph convertor though might be a better option cost wise than trying to find a motor with correct spindle size to fit existing pulley or pulley to fit new motor.

Don't know how great an advantage a variable speed bandsaw would be over a two speed but I would not turn down the facility.

Latest posts

Back