Bandsaw Maintenance?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goose

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a second hand BAS315 bandsaw. But came without any paperwork for it.
I have found a rather scratchy copy of the manual here;
http://fc.zindel.de/scripts/CUWP_CG...directArg=VAC284642817,BAS315_4_GxN_55_en.pdf

But it does not give me much info on maintenance. As its is second hand and new to me, I want to give it a good going over, before I put it to work and so does anyone happen to know what should be looked at and what needs checking/greasing etc?

Cheers.

Hi,

Steve Maskery of this parish has a Bandsaw DVD that is said to be very good.

Pete

Hi there,

Basically, I'd make sure its cleaned up, no dust or rust. Check that your blades square to the table. But to refer to your User Manual you've posted..... Id go through the sections in the manual.... numbers: 1.3, all parts of 2, 4 & 5. Check everythings okay according to the manual.....

Blade should run smooth not wobbling. If it wobbles, might be a bearing problem.

Hope that goes someway maybe to help you.

That blade which came with it, is nackered, as the previous owner put it..lol.
But that said, i put it on and gave it a spin, to check the motor was ok.
Seems to be running very smoothly and precise. Though I have not tinckered with the table level or guides etc yet. No point till I get some nice shiny new blades.

But to plan to give the entire machine a good vac out of dust. But its more, about oiling and greasing things that I am curious. Are the bearings sealed etc ( i suspect so, given the dusty environment inside the machine)?

I don't want to put oil or greece where it should not go. Once upon a time you could, "if it moved, and touches something, then oil it". Now days its not that simple I have found with other pieces of kit.

I have a bandsaw book coming. :)

Grease or good oil will not have an adverse affect in my experience though a penetrating spray oil such as wd40 will tend to wash out any grease/oil in bearings with over use.
A good dust out, new blade and alignment checks are all that is usually required as long as the wheels run free and the tyres are in good order.
Check the blade guides and adjust to the blade, some are 'cool blocks' and the better ones are bearings, ensure they are clean and run freely.(I don't know this particular machine but check the guides below the table as well as on the vertically adjustable top set.
Rob.

Whilst this forum's very raison detre is to offer help and support to our fellow woodworkers. Steve's DVD on the Bandsaw is an absolute must. You won't regret it. It's everything you expect in a book, on video!

Does someone have a link to this mentioned DVD ?
Where can it be obtained and for how much etc?

I have a good book, one i was recommended by several people on here, when I first started looking for a bandsaw. I have it, just not with me, managed to leave it at a family members place. dough!

The tyres, feel good and the wheels run smoothly and without and vibration.

I also need to get the blade out and check its size, as I want to make sure the pdf manual i have is the right one.

Did someone call?
:)

Okay.
1. Get a top-quality blade. It will make all the difference and not cost the earth. I recommend Tuffsaws (Ian John is the man and appears here from time to time). Make sure you are using the right blade for the task in hand

2. Make sure that your bearings are clean and adjusted properly.

3. Get your tracking right, both on the bottom wheel and the top one.

4. If you can't eliminate drift, compensate for it with the rip fence

It's not rocket science, but there are lots of things that can go wrong. Do the right things in the right order and you will have a happy bandsaw.

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back