bandsaw guideblocks. something missing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all
I picked up a great secondhand bandsaw Itech BS431 last week. It needs some fettling and a new blade.
The top guides look like this (thrust bearing removed)
15844942626_f972f472de_z.jpg

Is there supposed to be something in the space on the face of the disc? I wondered if there is supposed to be a disc of some other metal as sacraficial.

The edges of the "circle" are a bit sharp and I think could do with easing, but maybe they are supposed to be like that??

I believe this is an exact copy of the Axminster 4300 bandsaw so I'll see if I can pop in and take a look at theirs this week.

cheers mate. Do you think I should ease the edges? there are some sharp nics in them. Or maybe freshen the faces up on a flat surface?

Do you have a similar bandsaw?

Hi,

I have an Axminster AP4300-T bandsaw and the blade guides on mine are nothing like what you are showing in the photo.

On my bandsaw the side bearings are the other way round so that the outer edge of the bearing cage runs on the saw blade, the rear guide runs with the bearing face on the back of the blade.

I know some people make sacrificial wooden or plastic / nylon type pads for the blade guides on their saws but from what you show in the photo it looks like yours is as it should be.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Dave.

I have a record BS300 so a similar set up, if there's nic's on the discs I'd guess they've been set too close to the teeth and been catching a bit of a rub on a flat plate with wet and dry should sort it.

To be honest I'm not very impressed with the set up but then I need to take the time to set the whole saw up properly so they might be fine.

I've got a BS300 as well and will be replacing mine with bearings as soon as I can.

It looks to me to be how it was designed to be. It would not hurt to dress the surface on a stone, and yes, adding a sacrificial face, such as mounting board (very thing MDF, or Tufnol) would not be a bad idea,. They should, if properly adjusted, support the blade properly
S

THere should definately be a thrust bearing to stop the blade moving backwards. If it's not there you need a replacement as withoit it, you will damage the metal and the blade.

woodpig":w7000jqn said:
I've got a BS300 as well and will be replacing mine with bearings as soon as I can.

Have you found an upgrade kit for this, or will you make your own? I tried the axminster one but although I thought the top could be modified to suit the lower kit was just to bulky.

manxman":1epexyjp said:
woodpig":1epexyjp said:

Have you found an upgrade kit for this, or will you make your own? I tried the axminster one but although I thought the top could be modified to suit the lower kit was just to bulky.

I'll be making my own as soon as my workshop is set up. I'm more interested in replacing the top guides at this stage though.
The originals aren't that bad just that bearings are better.

Back