bandsaw blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob_c

Established Member
Reaction score
When buying bandsaw blades will 1" difference in size (smaller)from the recommended size cause any problems with fitting? The blades are around 12 feet.

Depends on the saw but I would think there is a good chance of there being enough adjustment range. You might find it a bit tight to fit and/or not able to get the tension as low as you might need for a 3/16 or 1/4 blade.

Bob

Thanks Bob, ive been offered some good quality blades very cheap,but they are 1" less in length.I suppose with the price i,ll take a chance and if one doesnt fit ,just sell them!

Hi Bob-c

I guess the resellability (if that is the word!) will depend on what machine they were made to fit. Getting that information from the seller might be worthwhile just in case you need to sell them on.

Bob

One inch in 12ft Bob? That's less than one percent mate. Proceed!

Roy.

Yeah, thinking about it that way,1" doesnt sound like it will make any difference!

Bob

If you set your top wheel at it's normal position for a normal blade, then see if you can wind it down more than half an inch (x2= the 1 inch difference) then you'll know if it'll fit.

Alan

Well got the blades today.I wanted them for sawing hard exotic woods.
The one ive tested cuts very well .They are all Starrett Powerband and Powerband Matrix II. From what i can tell they are all Bi-metal blades.
Teeth on 3 of them are Bearcat profile with 4 to the inch.One is 6/10 vari pitch not sure what that means.And one is 1"x10 raker.
They seem to be good blades still boxed and for £0.99 for 5 a good deal i think.They are all 1 " wide blades.Though i suspect they are meant to be metal cutting blades. :)

Even with the postage charge you had to pay, that is a bargain. even to cut and re-weld for smaller saws. Good job my BS is not rated for 1" blades other wise I'd have been spitting feathers at your good fortune.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob

bob_c":24zd8mao said:
Well got the blades today.I wanted them for sawing hard exotic woods.
The one ive tested cuts very well .They are all Starrett Powerband and Powerband Matrix II. From what i can tell they are all Bi-metal blades.
Teeth on 3 of them are Bearcat profile with 4 to the inch.One is 6/10 vari pitch not sure what that means.And one is 1"x10 raker.
They seem to be good blades still boxed and for £0.99 for 5 a good deal i think.They are all 1 " wide blades.Though i suspect they are meant to be metal cutting blades. :)

They are metal cutting blades but will be great for cutting hardwood as they will last a lot longer than standard bandsaw blades. The 6/10 will have sections of 6tpi and sections of 10tpi on the same blade. It's a vari-tooth blade and will give a nice finish but will be slow cutting thick material.
Matrix II are not as good as M42 but still a great blade and a lot better than a hard tooth flexback blade that most bandsaws are made from.

The best bit is that they would cost around £25 - £30 each to buy - well done :D

Ian

Back