Bandsaw Blades Splitting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larky

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a Scheppach Basato 3 bandsaw & have been using the widest blades the machine will take 15mm, but after a short time they are splitting. I know the obviouse is to much tension but anything less & it seems the blade has not enough tension & I admit the machine is more or less on max tension, the blades I'm using are Dure Edge so its not as if the blades are poor quality. I have never had thinner blades do this & now that I have lost 3 blades to this problem I'm getting a bit miffed. Has any one else had this problem or is it just me?!!!.

atb

Larky

Larky,
I'm certainly not an expert on bandsaw blades & mine is smaller than yours but I did once have a problem when I first tried a wide blade. It transpired that the alignment of the top & bottom wheels wasn't quite right, I played around with this for an hour or so & it never happened again. I think the narrower blades are more forgiving of 'small' misalilignments in the wheels. Well, that's only my theory I'm sure there'll be someone much better qualified along soon.

Are the 15mm blades a thicker gauge than the 1/2" variety?The Basato wheels are less than 350mm and really only suit the 1/2" thickness. I use 1/2" 3skip Dure Edge blades in a Basato 3 and have no problems with breakage, but I feel 3/8" is the ideal size for this size for this machine, especially if you plan to resaw. Watch the rear idler bearing on the guides as this can seize with dust and then the blade wears a track in the wheel. I replaced mine with roller bearings and have not had end problems since.

Hi Larky,

Please excuse my ignorance. I am in the US and have no experience with either the BS or the Dure Edge blades.

If the blades are low-tension blades, your tension may really be at fault. Are they splitting down the center? If so, the crown of the wheels in conjunction with such high tension may be the fault.

With the upper blade guide backed off, start off with a much lower tension. If the blade flutters, increase tension. If it is not fluttering, decrease tension slowly until the blade begins to flutter. Increase until the flutter stops. Then increase the tension another little bit. That should then be the proper tension for that blade on your BS.

Readjust the guides and have a go. All should be well.

Take care, Mike

Hi Larky, I have the same saw & blades but have not experienced the same problems with split blades. However, I have the same trouble as PJ and would appreciate details of your modification .
Regards
Soapy

Cheers for your reply's. The blades are splitting across the width of the blade not down the middle. I have run out of 15mm blades & have put a half inch one in, it seems fine & there is loads more tension to play with. The 15mm were slightly thicker about 0.2mm which might have made a difference. I think Losos might be right & the alignment of the wheels may be out which would put more tension on one side of the blade causing it to split, when I have a bit more time I will have to have a fiddle. I to would be interested in the modification to roller guides, is it a fiddly job?.
Anyway cheers again, got to get back to making 9 draws!!!.

Larky

Larky,

Thicker blades often give trouble on saws with small diameter wheels - they don't like the constant flexing round the curve of the wheel.

Larky":rs7beiyp said:
Hi all,
I have a Scheppach Basato 3 bandsaw & have been using the widest blades the machine will take 15mm, but after a short time they are splitting. I know the obviouse is to much tension but anything less & it seems the blade has not enough tension & I admit the machine is more or less on max tension, the blades I'm using are Dure Edge so its not as if the blades are poor quality. I have never had thinner blades do this & now that I have lost 3 blades to this problem I'm getting a bit miffed. Has any one else had this problem or is it just me?!!!.

atb

Larky

Are you doing straight cuts or doing curves? With the wider blade in situ you might be that doing a tight radious that is twisting the blade which would weaken the welded joint.

hi Lord Nibbo,
I am only doing straight cuts, I bought the widest blades because I wanted to cut 4" tenons & thought they would be more accurate.

Back