Bandsaw Blades advice sought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodMangler

Established Member
Reaction score
I've recently acquired a Kity 612 bandsaw. One of the things I want to do is to take thin slices off reasonable large (4" deep) blocks of various hardwoods, for making boxes. I'm not sure what blades to use - The bandsaw will take blades up to 3/4" wide.

I assume that the wider blade will help keep the cut straighter, is this correct ?

These blades are expressed not in TPI, but in 'Skips'. What's a 'Skip' and do I want 3-skip or a 4-skip for this job ?

Your best bet would be to contact Ian at Tuffsaws ( www.tuffsaws.co.uk ) - he was most helpful when I wanted to do a similar type of thing with my Kity 613 bandsaw (smaller model than yours I think as the max blade width is 1/2") and he recommended the right blade for my job - he also suggested not using the max width blade as it is difficult to get enough tension on it on the 613 - the 612 may be better at this. In general though you are right, the wider the blade the straighter the cut (all other things like type of teeth, number of teeth per inch etc considered).

Yes, Ian is your man. He supplies the best blades around, he is an expert and has even designed blade configuration, so he knows what he's talking about.
Kym is also right about blade width. The wider the blade the more tension you need and small machines cannot necessarily take that tension. Besides, 1/2" is plenty for the job you are describing.
3-skip means that there are 3 TPI with a skip-tooth pattern (i.e. every other tooth missing). So they are the size of 6TPI but more widely spaced. It makes for better sawdust removal.
If you sign up for my very-occasional newsletter, there will be an article by Ian on Rip Tooth patterns in the next one. I hope to get it out in the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately I'm managed to screw up my domain and email good and proper, so as I type I have no website and no email (apart from gmail). But when it's fixed you can sign up at www.workshopessentials.com, if you feel so inclined.
With the right blade and a properly set up machine you should have no difficulty doing what you plan.
Cheers
Steve

Yes, all is now rosy in the Workshop Essentials Workshop. Phew!
It's entirely my own fault. I've bought a domain specifically for my tenon jigs and was trying to configure it and whilst trying to see the setting for my existing domain, I managed to screw up the DNS settings and didn't know how to put it back. Charley to the rescue!

So, if you want to see Ian's rather helpful little article, you can sign up.
S

Latest posts

Back