Bandsaw Blades - TPI

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rewound

Established Member
Reaction score
I have often read no more than 3 or 4 teeth in the workpiece at anyone time so as to allow the blade to clear the debris out and cut well. But I have some 6" hardwood that i want to repurpose. This would require a blade of something like 2TPI which I don't think is availabe?

I do have a big heavy one inch bandsaw blade in the workshop that I guess is 10TPI (that would be 60 teeth in the wood) would I be wasting my time or may it work if cut really slowly?

I've cut 300mm with a 6 TPI blade because I was being lazy. Slow going but it worked. Had I changed to a 3 or 4 TPI blade, the finish would have been rougher.

Bandsaw Cut 300mm 6tpi.jpg

I don't have a bandsaw that will handle a 1-inch blade, but my Record Power BS350S does a great job of resawing hardwood with the 1/2-inch 3TPI M42 blade. Ian, at Tuff Saws, recommended a selection of blades for my saw based on what I wanted to cut. The M42 blades require more tension than the carbon blades, so there would not be any way my saw would properly tension a larger M42 blade. However, I have not had any problems resawing beech, oak, walnut, and cherry at the limits my saw can handle.

Here are some photos I took to show how well my BS350S resaws a piece of scrap beech. The board is 410mm long, 230mm high, and 45mm thick (16.14" long, 9.05" tall, 1.8" thick). The tallest I can resaw is 235mm (9.25") after I changed out the upper bearing blocks. Without much effort, this cut took about 2.5 minutes to resaw a 4mm slab from this board. The blade never touched the back bearing and I let the teeth do all of the work.

Resaw-3.jpg

Resaw-4.jpg

Mike
that may be scrap Beech in Germany but here it would be saved for something special.....lol....
we go skip diving for affordable hardwood.....
seems the richer folk just dump their hardwood furniture after a season or two....
just gotta find a way to use it......

PS any chance of a photo of the anti kick back fingers and where did u buy it.....in the first photo......ta....

For re-sawing >8" hardwood - and a lot of it - I fit a 1" Woodmaster CT carbide blade. It will motor through everything up to 12" (the limit of my Hammer N4400 bandsaw). This is a 1.3 tpi blade, and it is not recommended for wheels under 16" (The Hammer is 18").

But mostly I use a 8mm bimetal blade, which is 3 tpi. This does a pretty good job of re-sawing the same wood, but will leave a rougher finish. It is will do curves, however.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike
that may be scrap Beech in Germany but here it would be saved for something special.....lol....
we go skip diving for affordable hardwood.....
seems the richer folk just dump their hardwood furniture after a season or two....
just gotta find a way to use it......

PS any chance of a photo of the anti kick back fingers and where did u buy it.....in the first photo......ta....
As requested, I created a new thread in the Jig, Tips, & Shopmade Tools forum.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/magswitch-bandsaw-featherboard-diy-kit.140717/

Back