Bandsaw Blade Lubrication.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Page

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone on this forum ever use wax lubrication on their bandsaw blade? Reading a recent FWW magazine I note that this is recommended but surely this is one quick way of also polishing the bandsaw wheels (which clearly is undesirable)?
Any opinions anybody (before I try it)?
Fred.

I have used candle wax to help in cutting thin Ali, but not wood.

Suffolk who supply bandsaw blades in the USA, reccomend diluted chainsaw bar oil for heavy duty mill resawing, and a product called 'Pam' (actually rapeseed oil) for narrow bandsaws (see link section D). I use Tesco's rapeseed oil instead of camelia, and in the past have rigged up a (Boots chiropody) felt oilling pad to keep a thin film of rapeseed oil on the bandsaw blade when cutting very resinous wood. It doesn't seem to mark the wood at all, and does help reduce pitch build up. Suffolk says it will increase blade life 30%. Can't do any harm to try it, or soak wooden end grain block guides in it either, for that matter.

regards, Ivan

PS. rape oil has a good industrial lubricant pedigree

I've replaced my original cool blocks with ones made from lignum vitae which has a natural lubricant in it. I run the blocks very close to, but not quite touching the blade...seems to run better than using the metal ones supplied - Rob

Those were the blocks I used to have on the big Stenner. We used red diesel as a lubricant - not recommended unless you are running large amounts, as a buildup would stain.

Red diesel? What, Where? How much?
I use hardwood blocks on my cheapo Perform. Much better than the supplied roller bearings, then again the original bearings are poorly made units.

Red diesel is the same as regular diesel but supplied frre of certain taxation and dyed red to show if it has been used in applications where duty should have been used.
Paraffin or domestic central heating oil would be suitable alternatives.

hth

Bob

I asked a similar question here some time ago when I had read a recommendation to use chainsaw oil for the job. The general response was negative regarding using that oil as a lubricant.

I did however then get the chance to have a friend buy me some of the American "Pam" from an ex-pat store. I have 5 cans and have barely started using the first one, however my initial impression, after using it sparingly several times, is that it does help to reduce resin buildup on the inside of the blade, and I haven't noticed any degrade of my tyres. I usually use the bandsaw for rough cutting, shaping turning blanks and so forth, and haven't noticed the oil causing any discoloration. However if the cut surface is to have minimal subsequent processing, or is to be part of a joint etc, I would be weary of possible marks or weakening of glues etc.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Neil

seems you are worried about the blade moving across the wheel due to the lubricant, i think the speed of turnover and tension stops this happening, and any lubricant is always a good thing to reduce friction and improve cutting ability.

paul :wink:

Most bandsaws have rubber tyres though, so it might be sensible to avoid petroleum oils to be sure not to degrade the rubber, which may not be oil-resistant. That doesn't apply to the massive Stenner-type resaws, which, I understand, have plain cast iron wheels.

I use hardwood guide blocks with the ends waxed with orange wax which contains bees wax along with other materials. It is like a gel & a thin layer spread on the end of the block, then buffed making it slippy as heck. It will not stain wood & there is no build-up on the tyres. I set the guide blocks to lightly contact the blade. Has worked very well for the past 6 years that I have been doing this.

Lee

Thanks for all above replies to original query.
My fear in lubricating the blade is concern for the driving wheel surface. My old Startrite 352's driving tyre already has a glazed appearance and the idea of transferring a lubricant to this via the blade seems to asking for future blade slippage. I appreciate the advantages given to the blade by say a wax lubricant but I remain concerned for the reduced friction on the driving tyre. That's all!
Fred.

I agree with you Fred, seems counter-intuitive to effectively lubricate the rubber tyres which are there to provide friction to drive the saw blade, a bit like oiling your car or bike brakes !!!

Doubt there is any harm with a small amount of wax or similar on the guides though.

If you are concerned about glazing on the tyres already it might be worth using a bit of sandpaper on a block and lightly rubbing the surface of the tyres to scuff them up a bit and remove the glazing? Wouldn't try it under power though !

Cheers, Paul. :D

Back