Bandsaw Blade Lubricant

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Would you use candle wax or beeswax to maintain a bandsaw blade? Or do you use a a commercial make specifically made to lubricate the blade?
If so which make do you prefer? Do you lubricate the whole blade or just the cutting edge?

Do you use ACF-50 on your workshop machinery--also on your hand tools--planes / saws / chisels?

Last edited:
I'm not sure lubricating would be a good idea for general wood cutting, because it might cause the blade to slip on the wheels. Granted, wood milling bandsaws often have a drip oiler or water feed, but they're for cutting green timber which is going to be pretty wet.

When deep ripping some oak sleepers, 250mm air dried for 8yrs, my bandsaw was really struggling. I tried using some 3 in 1 on the blade, like an oil dropper, and it made potentially some difference but not enough that I persevered. I would expect anything you add will be gone after a quick cutting session.

I personally wouldn't want to use lubrication on my bandsaw blade. You need the rubber to blade side clean of oil or lubricant as a must, surely?

Rob

Are you wanting a lubricant to prevent rusting or to reduce friction in operation?
If the latter then you are probably using the wrong blade with insufficient gullet volume for the depth of cut you are attempting.
Brian

Thanks for the replies.
I'm new to the bandsaw. Bought awhile ago and not yet used. I possibly thought that lubrication would be the way to go for a smoother cut. Do bandsaw blades go rusty in time?

What clogs said :)

If a bandsaw is having a hard time in use, Brian's point about low tooth count with gullets big enough to carry out the cut fibres is an important point.
Also important to properly adjust the blade guides and do it again every time you change the blade to a different size. Badly adjusted side guides can ruin the "set" of the teeth so that the kerf gets narrower and the body of the blade rubs in the cut and overheats.

Latest posts

Back