Bandsaw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodds

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I am looking at purchasing a new bandsaw, I have narrowed the field to just two. Draper 76238 and Rexon BS350S does anyone have any thoughts or even a suggestion for an alternative. I thing the spec should be 1 - 1 1/2 HP and blade max 3/4" as I would like to try some re-sawing.

Do you mean Record BS350S ?

I have that and its brilliant. Had for over a year now, cuts huge logs with ease, wet and dry, and 1 mil veneers from oak !

Just throw away the blade you get with it though, i use starrett blades now and they last yonks.

Thanks for info Loz I was leaning towards the Record now you have made my mind up and the tip on the blades was useful will follow your advice.
Thanks again

If you are looking to spend £400-500 as the Draper is, I would look at the Axminster AWHBS350N Bandsaw or even the Axminster AWHBS400N Bandsaw, I just bought the AWHBS350N and it is very powerful and clean, love it.

Assuming you mean Record BS350S as Rexon do make a bandsaw (BS3050AL) but it's not in the same league and I wouldn't think you would be considering that alongside the Draper.

I have the Record BS350S with pedal wheel-kit and can highly recommend it. If you intend to move it around the wheel-kit is really good and makes light work of moving it.

Setting up is simple and clearly explained in the manual. Changing the blade is quick and easy, just requiring the removal of 2 bolts that hold a steel support plate across the slit in the table.

Don't expect the dust-extraction port to do much as most of the dust accumulates in the wheel housings and requires regular cleaning out.

The saw copes with anything that will fit on it and I've not had any problems with it apart from almost cutting my finger off in a stupid moment of inattention :shock: .

myturn":10bxagsi said:
Don't expect the dust-extraction port to do much as most of the dust accumulates in the wheel housings and requires regular cleaning out.

hiya,

Iv'e a fairly short run of 4 inch back to an RDSE1 via blast gates, and only need to open the bottom door every month or so to have a little clean up, I find as long as you get a good seal - it will suck through that port.

Lodds":12q33lp7 said:

I only buy starret cause i can get them locally 5 minutes from the house, othesr might suggest Tuff and they are probably better than those i use.

loz":3emoc8lp said:
myturn":3emoc8lp said:

hiya,

Iv'e a fairly short run of 4 inch back to an RDSE1 via blast gates, and only need to open the bottom door every month or so to have a little clean up, I find as long as you get a good seal - it will suck through that port.
Hi loz,

I'm using a 4"-2.5" adapter out of the saw then a long run (8m or so) of 2.5" hose and pipes via blast gates to a Camvac. Possibly a combination of all this that's preventing clearing. I've just bought a T30 to replace my broken hoover and I might rig that up under the table and forget the dust outlet.

Hi Mick,

8 metre ! - that is a run !

I have seen mods where dust is grabbed at source just under the table at the inset hole, one for the list !

I'll second (or third!) the recommendation on the Record BS. I have had mine now for about a year and done all sorts of things on it, from ripping up a load of 2m long 7-8" logs into planks, resawing various things, down to fine tenons on it. It's been great, after I bought a few blades from Tuffsaws...

Henry

Excellent stuff from you guys, thanks a million BS it is then... plus some Tuffsaws blades. Now to explain it to her indoors that this bit of kit will truly make me a master and save loads of dosh ;o)

(seem to have used that line before)

T

Lodds":118ash8e said:
Excellent stuff from you guys, thanks a million BS it is then... plus some Tuffsaws blades. Now to explain it to her indoors that this bit of kit will truly make me a master and save loads of dosh ;o)
T
If it doesn't then tell her she can use it to cut up and dispose of your body, but remind her to use a push-stick!

Guys,
I struggle to understand why you have problems with the Record blades, unless they have changed suppliers in the last 12m the manufacturer is UK based and they supply blades all around the country and also they supply loads to pro outlets.
What problems do you find with them?

NetBlindPaul":rs2syxyb said:
Guys,
I struggle to understand why you have problems with the Record blades, unless they have changed suppliers in the last 12m the manufacturer is UK based and they supply blades all around the country and also they supply loads to pro outlets.
What problems do you find with them?
Personally I have no problems with the supplied blades and have even used the same blades from Record as replacements when I buggered up the originals.

I am mostly cutting logs or turning blanks and don't cut veneer or very thin so I can't say how they would perform for that usage.

hello everyone, im just in the market for a bandsaw in the same price/size range that your all discussing, can I just ask what every body thinks about the guides on the record?
are they bearings or blocks or something else?

and as anybody ever come accross the SIP 01444 as I like the look of it, but cant find a user review of it.

cheers Joe
ps. sorry about the thread hijack

Hi Joe, cant comment on the band saw but for ages I have
had a SIP lathe and a planer/thickness er. I am well satisfied
with both.
Willy.

Back