Bandsaw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrick

Reaction score
I kind of feel I need / would like a band saw. I saw "feel like" as I don't have a definite use for it but feel it would be one of those tools once you have it you find uses. E.g. thicker ripping than the table saw, better curves than horrible jig saw.

Use is a mix or personal and work use. I do a bit of property maintenance although this is obviously not full time joinery and but when I do I try to prepare work in the workshop where possible.

My machinery buying is second-hand so what do I look for? I can look at depth of throat and max cut height but what else. Seen quite a few small records and similar but they look very flimsy. At the other end are massive three phase startrite that I can't justify the space or expense of. What's a good size? What to watch out for?

you find uses. E.g. thicker ripping than the table saw, better curves than horrible jig saw.
If ripping thicker material you will find the finish is not great and so you will need to run it through a thicknesser and agree that jig saws only seem to work well on thin sheet goods unless you buy the Mafell but that is not cheap.

I have done general woodworking as a hobby for years and
I have done general woodworking as a hobby for years and I wouldn’t be without a bandsaw. Throat and height- as big as you can afford BUT an accurate fence is a must for straight cutting. That means a blade that’s properly supported on bearings and a front track for the fence that’s adjustable. Scheppach would be my recommendation. Floor standing, 240v . Wheels properly aligned to give the replaceable bearings support and a chance to do their job.
Consider Also blade length availability and quality as well as TPI availability. Axminster do a good range of blades that will fit some but not all machines.
Warning- having a fence is no guarantee it’s any good at producing an accurate cut as I have found to my frustration. So use before buying especially if it’s a brand not personally recommended.
Finally cutting accurate circles is a knack that takes a bit of time to acquire. I built a jig as shown in the Bandsaw Book - (Mark Duginske) used it twice, never needed it again once you have the feel of the movement.

One additional point to consider is that no single blade will do all jobs so ensure you’re prepared to change blades depending on need. It’s quite straightforward but initially I faffed about getting the blade to track centrally until I got the hang of it.
I’ve a larger Record Power on a mobile base but managed to get my hands on a bench top Axminster machine for smaller cutting. It’s a bit of a luxury to have both perhaps but the cost of the latter wasn’t great and it minimises blade changes.
Getting good quality blades is essential and I’ve used both the Axminster ones and those from Tuffsaws which are superb and allow some decent sized ripping and bookmatching, with as is said above, some final finishing.

I have a lidl one, with Tuffsaw blades.

I personally found it hard to fettle, but once i had it, it works well. Things like the table was out of true in both dimensions, the fence is poor, etc.

ilI then went up the learning curve quickly until I hit the limits of the throat and height. If I was to replace it, it'd have to be a midrange machine, multiples more expensive. It's fine for hobby work.

Some good knowledge here thanks. Sorry for slow reply. Just missed out on a Startrite two weeks ago but will have to put this one hold as I have had to buy a load of material for a big project up front :rolleyes:. Got to concentrate on the essentials for that rather than the nice to have for a while! :)

Back