bandsaw advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kskinner

Reaction score
Hi all, have been looking at the Axminster AWHBS400N bandsaw, before i buy would be grateful to hear from forum members as to their views on this particular machine,
Regards Keith.

Hi - I don't actually have one, but it's a lot for the money (on paper at least). Generally don't take much notice of depth of cut specs - you need a mass of frame and power to rip 10" I think - but if you are mainly ripping say 5" (occasionally 6" maybe) and often less, should be quite good. I note it's 1500 watt input, which isn't a lot given it's capacity claims. I'd be wary of wheel balance too as I suspect they are pressed, not cast.
Personally I'd look at the second-hand ones, quite a few really good Startrites, the big Scheppach, and you could end up with a cracker for about £350 or so, I think. Right now there's a Scheppach 5-4 with 6 days to go, at about a quid... it will go up of course but if it ended up at £500, I would choose it over the Axminster if it was my cash.

Douglas, Thanks for your reply, Axminster give this machine a trade rating, i'm only a hobbiest woodworker and this machine should be able to cope with my particular needs. Had a look at the Scheppach on E-Bay will follow it with interest, many thanks again for your advice,
Regards Keith.

Back