band saw upgrade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjhimages

Established Member
Reaction score
looking to upgrade from ALDI/workzone bandsaw
whilst this is a reasonable saw it has limitations - poor fence , no mitre slot, difficult to do repeatable cuts
due to space limitations in my workshop!! ( 7 x 5 shed ) has to be bench top model

any recommendations?

thanks

If you can find an old Elu, they were smashing little saws. I bought one 30-odd years ago and it's still going strong, although not in my workshop.

gjhimages":3kblidgs said:
looking at record power bs250

would this be an ok upgrade?

This would certainly be an upgrade to the ALDI bandsaw you're using at the moment. But something I'm coming to appreciate more over time is the cost (in time/frustration as well as money) in buying something "just good enough for what I need now". Before offering suggestions of actual machines it would be useful to know what it is you use the bandsaw for. Are you ever going to need to cut through things more than 120mm deep (that's the capacity of the BS250)? What sort of throat depth are you likely to need? What is your budget?

I think 120mms will be enough depth of cut
Current bandsaw is used for dimensioning timber for final hand planing
But I find it leaves much to be desired when it comes to repeatable cuts
Budget is around 300 but as stated must be a bench top model
Mainly making small boxes at the moment on scroll saw and router

Steve Maskery":1klqn3df said:
If you can find an old Elu, they were smashing little saws. I bought one 30-odd years ago and it's still going strong, although not in my workshop.

I saw an old Elu EBS3501 for sale at Grovewood Machines in Basingstoke last week if that helps you gjhimages?

It looked in decent condition & I got proper nostalgic ;)

No idea what money they wanted for it, but as Steve said, they were great machines - could be worth a call?

Cheers ,
Nick

Latest posts

Back