• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sold Baileigh 20" disc sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inoffthered

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
This is a REAL disc sander that I found to extremely versatile in sanding both big and small stuff and which operates on a normal three pin plug. It can remove a lot of material quickly and effortlessly if needed. The table moves vertically and also tilts in both directions. There is a slot for mitre gauge and a port for a vacuum hose. The sanding disc is a bit ragged round the edges but I have a new, unused self adhesive 20" sheet to replace it.
This is a heavy piece of kit (close to 200kg) so collection only. I can lend a hand to load it but you will definitely need someone at the other end to help you unload it.£350

tempImageeTOPGR.png
It can remove a lot of
tempImagejX4PEI.png
tempImageZdqgTm.png
tempImagesdVj8J.png

Attachments

• tempImageWllLbp.png
    tempImageWllLbp.png
    806.6 KB · Views: 39
  • tempImageg0fN7j.png
    tempImageg0fN7j.png
    937.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Very strange claim for the speed of 1100 rpm. On 50hz a 4 pole induction motor runs at about 1450rpm and a 6 pole at around 950 rpm. There must always be an even number of poles so there is no way that it can run at the marked speed. Nevertheless an interesting tool for those who have the room for it.

Very strange claim for the speed of 1100 rpm. On 50hz a 4 pole induction motor runs at about 1450rpm and a 6 pole at around 950 rpm. There must always be an even number of poles so there is no way that it can run at the marked speed. Nevertheless an interesting tool for those who have the room for it.
I spotted the rpm point and am curious to work this out when I get it home.

La Scholar doesn’t think I have the space for it either, so yes I am in trouble 😁

Cheers

It goes round too quickly to count so I cannot comment on the 1100rpm claim (where does it quote that?) but when it is up to speed it does hum and, from a practical perspective, it works really well.

Motor rpm is in your photo of the rating plate and I’d assumed from another photo that disc is mounted directly on the motor shaft. Hence my assertion.

Looks to me like the motor is 6 pole and was originally running at 60Hz. It will now run a bit slower but will still work just fine with a pretty good peripheral speed.
Duncan

Yes, it’s interesting re the rpm.

Baileigh evidently sell a lot in the US, so much of the readily available info is from their US site. The 60Hz version is stated as 220V and 1100rpm also.

They also do a HD version that is stated as also a 2HP motor/60Hz/220v, but 1750rpm - this one is stated as directly coupled to the disc, but the parts diagram for the standard one also appears to show it directly coupled.

So I don’t know, but I’m looking forward to trying it out!

It seems to be sold as a metalworking disc grinder, rather than for woodwork - we’ll see how it does at both.

Cheers

It looks a nice bit of kit and I'm sure you'll get on with it. 1100 rpm is a nice speed, I run a 12" disc on my lathe and usually use some around 1000-1100. At the edge, its removes a decent amount.

Back