Bagette cutting board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flat n smooth

Established Member
Reaction score
hi any ideas on how to produce the half round hollow for the loaf to sit in to be cut

Attachments

• bag board.jpg
    bag board.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 194
i would probably use some carving gouges. I can't quite tell on the pictures, does the hollow stop short of the ends?

I imagine that you could wrap a length of dowel with some coarse sandpaper and then just refine the end bits. There is probably also a method on a router table, but that would be my last choice.

Hello,

The hollow does stop before the ends on the photo, but I don't expect it has to. A through hollow could easily be done with a round bottom moulding plane. Used one cheap to buy if not already owned. A large one, a 18 would be good. One thing though, I don't know what the cutting board is for? I may be stupid, but the saw kerfs presumably to guide the knife could only do so after the cut was fully through. Strange!

Mike.

Would a Compass Plane be of any use ? or is that for something else ?
$_57.JPG

Do you have a chop saw with a stop?
Would give you relief cuts for a small curve, enough for the purpose, I would think, finishing off with a gouge, or perhaps even a
purpose made scraper made from an old saw.
This would be for part cutting, and serving those nasty garlic bagette's, just out of the oven I presume?
Good idea, where do you live?
Regards Rodders

Or for power tool freaks, a router using plunge cutter with large guide bush in a template to define the shape, then a coving cutter through
a smaller guide bush to form the curved sides

If you have a table saw with a scoring blade. make a start and stop marks on the table and then slide the boards over the blade while gradually raising it in small increments. use your mitre to line up and guide the board as you slide it across. Just as you would do witht he bigger blade to make coving.

Latest posts

Back