Bad Day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motownmartin

Established Member
Reaction score
About 6 Months ago I bought some slabs of spalted Beech and stored it in my shed, the other day i went to resaw it as I was going to make some tissue boxes, I picked up one of the slabs and noticed that it was full of splits but did find a bit to make about 4 boxes, the whole lot should have been enough to make about 20, the stuff I had sorted, resawn and thicknessed was riddled with woodworm holes.
I still went ahead and thought I would make the holes a feature and the spalting was a rainbow of colours, anyway I started to cut all the box sides to size and this creature crawled out of one of the holes, oh flippin heck, all I could think about is the rest of all my timber in the shed, is all that going to be infested with woodworm, there is about a grands worth.
What do I do?

Back to the boxes, I set up the router table and started to cut half of the sides for the finger joints, then the wife came back and we had a chat, as you do, then back to finish the other half of the box sides, stupid me put them all together and cut the wrong face, so thats that job ruined.

On to the next job, making some box lids out of Lacewood and some out of Zebrano (cost me a fortune) this job went fine and its the first time I have worked with Zebrano, pooh whats that smell, then the wife comes for another chat 'has a dog been in here' she says, no I think its this wood, 'The money you spent on that you'd think it would smell like Champagne' she remarked.

Thats a day in the life of Martin's Woodcrafts :roll:

Make the shed a wife free zone.
Getting distracted and going back to the job in hand does so easily go wrong.
Some days it can be best to admit that you are utterly incompetent and go back to bed, other days I find this utter crapness can be worked round or through.

Woodworm? havent a clue, is there anything really nasty you can fumigate the whole shed it with?

Chunko'.

I think that I am utterly incompetent most days, in fact I am feeling rather good today but unfortunately I am travelling to Lincoln this afto so not much work in my shed a garage today.

Hmmm! I know the feeling.
I made a rule some years ago.
If anyone comes into the shop (Other than SWIMBO with a cuppa. She's one of the Earth Mother types, who keeps me fed and watered. :mrgreen: ) then whoever is calling, I pay them due respects. Before restarting, I go indoors and have a cuppa, or even do something else for five minutes. I mull over what I am doing and what I want to do next. Then I go back into the shop. It doesn't completely exclude mistakes, but I find it settles the mind and it's easier to pick up again afterwards.

HTH

John :D

Back