Back to my turnings, after 6 weeks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ad de Crom

Established Member
Reaction score
Started up my turnings again after 6 weeks working on the staircase project.
First an oak lidded box, made out of a piece of an old oak mantelpiece, hardened by the heat of the fireplace....
And my first try on making an inside-out turning, which was a fun small project.
This inside-out turning is made out of beech, and has not a finishing layer yet.
The oak lidded box has the DxH dimensions of 124x115mm, including the knob.
Have the intension to make more of these inside-out turnings for Christmas tree decoration.
Comments or critique on the inside-out turning are very wellcome.
Ad
100_2077-oakliddedboxDxH124x115mm.jpg

100_2078-oakliddedboxDxH124x115mm-openview.jpg

100_2074.jpg

Neat little Oak Box Ad. personally not sure about the form of the knob but that's down personal preferences I guess, my inclination would have been for one lower in form to reflect the shape of the box.

Can see inside out turning becoming addictive if you get set for a whole host of Christmas decorations.

Good to see you turning again Ad :D
Nice couple of pieces to get you back in the swing of things.
Is the staircase finished now :?:

Paul.J":362bn7nw said:
Good to see you turning again Ad :D
Nice couple of pieces to get you back in the swing of things.
Is the staircase finished now :?:
Thanks Paul,
Yes, the staircase is finished, and installed, pfffffff
Ad

Jonzjob":16b62wzt said:
Ad, there are bells ringing in my thick head about inside out turning? Can you refresh my memory on it please?

The box is lovely and I do like the knob too. The shape is really nice.. The inside out is lovely, but I just can't remember how it is done!
Hi John, take four square beams, glue it together with paper in between (local bonding is enough) and then runs a profile according to your choice.
Then loosen the adhesive bond (go easy), and the profile you created on the outside, come inside. Then glue everything together finally, and put the complete package between the centers of the lathe and turn the final profile of the ornament. Make sure you have a precise centering.
It's really fun to do, will certainly make more of them, hmmm, 17 people in my family, all four of those things, makes the total to 68, well, I'm also not crazy....)))
kind regards, Ad

The penny drops Ab! Ta for the reminder.

My biggest problem is that now I have learned how to use everything I have forgotten what the hell it's for!

Edit : - I've just been reading what I wrote above and comparing it with my signature. I just wonder if there is a link? Ah, what the hell, there are still a few wines that I haven't tried yet! Well, several thousand actually, so must get busy, no slacking here!

Back