Back after a couple of years away

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White House Workshop

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been away working on contract for almost 2 years and have hardly been in the workshop. Couldn't believe how damp it was in there in March this year when I opened it up! Fortunately April was hot and dry and I had the door and windows open and the warped pieces are now back to normal. The tools didn't rust - lots of WD40 sprayed around before I left. Lots of cobwebs, too!

I bought myself a Leigh D4R when I was in the US, as they're a LOT cheaper over there. Only done a test piece on it so far, but thinking about where it'll work for me. I did find out my routers are rubbish as I can't get a fine enough adjustment - have to buy a decent one. :)

Looking forward to getting back into wood. I'm making some interesting boxes, unusual shapes defined by how the wood itself 'speaks' to me. The first one is up on my website - last item on the 'Objets' page. Hope to get a really nice walnut box completed in another week or so - reclaimed American and English walnut pieces.

Welcome back Brian.

Your url didn't come up because you are shown as having only 1 post - dunno what happened to al your previous stuff! As a "newbie", our spaminator killed your link and will do so for a few more posts from you. Meanwhile if you want any images posted just post as normal and a mod will take care of it for you.

This was yours
http://www.managementtectonics.com/woodwork/

Hi Neil. The bikes are great thanks! FYI I have one in the UK and one in the US, both nice a big (pic of one in avatar) - the excess baggage rules that BA introduced this year got a bit 'heavy' :lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously, I prefer to use the bike than the car whenever I can, especially with the traffic here in the southeast. I did draw the line at riding in New England last March when the temp dropped to -20C though, as the visor iced up on the inside! The car does have its uses - carrying wood, for example...

Welcome back.

I hope you've got a friendly probation officer.

(Ididn't mean it, I didn't mean it...)

:)

Gill

Thanks everyone for making me feel welcome - :)

Yes, I have a R1200RT (in the US) and an R1100R (in the UK). We do a lot of touring on the bikes - Barcelona a couple of years ago then the Camargue. In a few weeks' we'll be in the US and haven't decided whether to go north through Maine to Canada or southwest to Missouri - depends on the weather at the time! Any other bikers in here???

Meantime I spent a few hours in the workshop today on finishing a walnut box. The top is a black walnut hexagon famed in clear maple, the 'box' is an old piece of English walnut, the base a piece of clear pine. I have used clear wax on the top to not darken it too much and I've tung oiled the base to darken it down and get that lovely red colour. The pine is a nice warm honey colour and the maple a creamy white. I'm going to put some deep red satin inside on the base - it's intended as a woman's make-up box. It's 18" wide, 7" deep at the deepest, 5" deep at each side, and about 5" tall. I'll have to post a pic when it's done. Right now there are 2 coats of acrylic lacquer on it and by tomorrow it'll be ready to smooth and polish. Mount the lid and it's almost done - I have to come up with something really interesting for a handle of sorts. There's enough overlap on the lid to not really need one, but it needs something to break the line of maple.

Enough rambling...

Something I'm doing that my wife thinks is terrible (as an artist) is I'm putting acrylic on top of oil - a no-no in the painting world! I've done this on a lot of boxes now and as long as the oil isn't wet it's fine. Need a good lacquer - cheapo stuff bubbles.

Back