baby safe??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickson71

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

more quick questions

A friend has a baby on the way and I thought it would be nice to make a crib for the little one when it arrives

does anyone recommend a wood, finish and glue thats baby safe

I'd stick to timbers which are normally regarded as "food safe" (i.e. suitable for use as chopping boards and not prone to splintering as babies eventually styart chewing everything, e.g. beech, sycamore, etc - no exotics. Finishes should conform to at least BS.EN 71 pt 3 (as required fort items manufacrured ub=nder the toy legislation)

Scrit

Scrit,
I've just been looking for an online timber directory, containing various characteristics for different timbers (density, stability, colour etc...). I'm sure I've found a really good one before. Don't suppose you have a link?

Nickson71,
Just found this link, has a bit more info with regards to BS EN 71
www.bsieducation.org/Education/download ... C_Toys.pdf

Andy

Good finish I use on rattles I make for friends and family is the water based varnish, its child safe and quick to apply :)

Finish wise, you can use any of the following products from our range, all of which have been independently tested to EN-71:

Finishing Oil
Cellulose Sanding Sealer (non-aerosol version)
Acrylic Sanding Sealer (both versions)
Melamine Lacquer (non-aerosol version)
Shellac Sanding Sealer
Wood Wax 22 Clear
Acrylic Lacquer
Acrylic Gloss Lacquer
Acrylic Satin Lacquer
Lemon Oil

I think that's all of them!
Any products not on the above list are either too new to have been tested (we will get round to this) or simply not suitable for toys/nursery furniture so we didn't confuse the issue by testing them!

Should you be of a mind, we can supply copies of certificates that these products have passed EN-71.

Hi Barry

Whilst Food Safe Finish would be toy safe, it's not really suitable for use on toys so we wouldn't recommend it for that as it's not really hardwearing enough in our opinion.

nickson71":1mr7em24 said:
thanks for the info

looks like I'll be going with the chestnut range ... thanks Terry

Ian

You can't really go wrong with the Chestnut range - I have used quite a few of their products and have found them to be consistently excellent. They do exactly what it says on the tin! They also come with the not insignificant benefit of Terry's expert advice!!! :D

Gary

Terry Smart":3ae3ynji said:
Hi Barry

Whilst Food Safe Finish would be toy safe, it's not really suitable for use on toys so we wouldn't recommend it for that as it's not really hardwearing enough in our opinion.

Thanks Terry. I was wondering why you left it out of the list. Interseting to see such a big list of safe finishes, quite reassuring.

I'd agree with what Taffy Turner says, you can't go wrong with Chestnut.

Latest posts

Back