B&Q Kitchen Installations - any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MixedHerbs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My wife wants a new kitchen, preferably while she is still alive. Consequently, the idea of me building one is a non-starter. We are considering a B&Q kitchen.

My question is, has anyone else in the Devon are had one installed by B&Q? Did the installation go well? Have you any advice to give with regard to the standard of fittings etc?

Regards, Peter.

Recently I bought a kitchen from MFI for about £3000 (without worktop) they want for intallation £1800 extra so I shopped around and found one kitchen fitter that can do it for £900. He told me that B&Q some times give him contracts for intallations (So I Think those companies overcharged installation) at the end I installed it myselft because I wanted to removed the old tiles, floors,ETC this of course was a lot extra and becase the kitchen was designed exactly to fit the space I thougt can't be so hard. I think the hard work was to remove the old than install the new one. GoodLuck

I have had similar experience to andycorleone with quotes from B&Q and MFI for installation IMO being quite high. I ended up some years ago purchasing a Scheiber kitchen from MFI due to the fact that it was not flat pack, and installing myself.

I suspect installation cost are high at these companies because they employ independent installers and add a margin on to their costs.

So it could pay you to try and find out who does the installations for B&Q etc in your area.

Cheers :D
Tony

I ordered a supply-and-fit kitchen from B&Q and gave up. Their organisation is such that they have different departments lodged in different parts of the country and they don't talk to each other. B&Q were simply unable to co-ordinate installation.

The whole process took about 2 years and in the end I got a full refund. Twice. I got one refund from the store and one from their national accounts department. When they realise their mistake, I'll return the extra cash to them but in the meantime it's in a savings account earning me interest.

I wouldn't touch B&Q kitchens with a bargepole.

Gill

Personally, we used Howdens -

KITCHEN - solid oak door base units x 8, 3 double door,glazed display units in solid oak plus dishwasher (integrated), double sink + taps.

DINING ROOM - "Welsh Dresser" style to match kitchen

UTILITY ROOM - Again same as kitchen units - 2 and a half wall unit, 2 and a half base unit with double sink, double height base unit.

£7.5 K fully fitted - fitter charged £750 for 2 weekends.

Was this reasonable I ask myself?? What do others think??

Thanks

Mark :D

I would say that is a damn good price myself. I am not a tradesman but do fit quite a few kitchens, for the work involved I would say you did well with that quote of £750. :wink:

Hi, my first post on here so hello everyone.
I had a short stint fitting kitchens for B&Q and have to say that the mass produced kitchens from everywhere are much the same, I have B&Q flatpack units in my own house and in general terms their fittings are just fine.
of course if you want bespoke it's not for you but neither is the price.
it's couple of years ago but when I was doing their fitting the customers said the same everywhere I went, stuff's ok. customer service rubbish.
I would be inclined to say find a local fitter and get them to fit it for you, you are likely to get the same bloke as you would from them, pay him twice as much as he would get from them and possibly save yourself half the asked fitting cost, winners all round :)

I'm scratching my head here!

I thought this forum was for woodworkers. Why would anyone even remotely competant in woodworking pay someone else to install a kitchen?

At the end of the day £750 is not a bad price. But why not just take a week off work and do it yourself?

And there's nothing really wrong with B&Q kitchens. As Richard says, all flat-pack kitchens are much of a muchness.

Dan

I have to agree about the flat pack kitchens and also about doing it yourself if you are a woodworker. On the other hand maybe he is like myself and just don't have the time to do your own jobs being too busy with other peoples work! :?

Thank you for your replies.

Yes, I can do the deed and have done so in the past. However, I prefer to do what I want in my free-time rather than what I have to do.

Regards, Peter.

Back