Axminster WD-20 500mm Disc sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I am thinking of buying the above sander and was hoping someone on the forum had one so I could clear up a few queries.

First how true does the plate run?

It says self adhesive discs are used but how easy are they to change? for instance is there trouble removed adhesive from the main face plate?

Thanks

Ian

I bought one but it was secondhand. It was out of true. I also bought one from Fox and sent that back as it was much worse.

Re removing the discs. Bloody difficult ! Almost guaranteed to rip. And rip again leaving a nice finely tapering piece that is impossible to lever off unless you go and get a chisel. Then while you;re using the chisel, great opportunity for it to slip as that adhesive is very sticky so gouging either the backing plate or your hand.

Currently without one and not missing it.

But then I have the luxury of a linisher.

I have the 300 one so cannot speak for your model but the sicky discs are a real PITA. With mine I spent all day cleaning the sticky gunk off the disc and then stuck on a velcro pad that the sanding discs fasten to. No problems since but not sure if velcro is available for that size

Thanks guys - I did email axminster regarding the trueness of the disc and they said that if there was any problems with this they would fix it, but a true running disc may be hard to correct plus the time spend back and forth.

I have heard about the velcro types but I feel this would not produce a crisp edge to mitres.

I have heard good raves about the Hegner but would prefer a larger disc diameter - ofcourse there may be trueness problems with a larger disc.

Ian

I have 12inch disc on my lathe that i use for sanding i fitted a velcro backing so I could use velcro discs. the backer came from axi as a spare part
I also have 2 other sanders (8 and 9 ") that use the sticky discs they are much harder and give better angles and crisper edges....but removing involves chisels and solvents...if it comes off easy it wasn't on properly to start with

Ian

Back