Axminster TS and black friday

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could I ask @bp122 what aspects that makes the iTech 01332 far superior to the AW254 in your view?
Sure. It is a combination of the little things and big things.

• The table surface area is large, so that is a huge plus not only for safely handling larger workpieces but also for general table space, better for all your table saw jigs
  • The larger area in front of the blade is also a huge plus compared to the dinky area on the smaller saw.
  • The riving knife is of a good quality and doesn't bend easily
  • The t square fence carriage is longer, so it is more reliable
  • The fence rail is three times the size in terms of cross section, so it is a much stronger rail.
  • The hardware is of a better quality
  • The extensions are much better quality so they line up better with the saw top
  • The throat insert plate is also better and doesn't warp like the ones on smaller saws, and they are rectangular so easy to make different versions of that
  • Much better selection of blade for a 10" saw than 8" (flat tooth grind / thick or think kerf)
  • The Arbor / blade wobble is very less or non existent
  • 50% More powerful motor (than the AW254, 100% more than AW216), so nothing is a challenge.
  • Just a better experience overall using it, example is the feel of the height adjustment wheel is more premium, as with many things.
  • If you decide to get a sliding carriage, which I didn't, the touchpoints on that are also just better quality.
These things may not seem like a lot, but they will precisely start bothering someone just after the honeymoon period.

When I tried this and felt all these points, I was gutted that for less than 40% extra cost I'd have something which is better by 100% or more on many categories.

Not saying the larger saws like the iTech or Sip are perfect, but for the money the Axminster Workshop (previously known as Craft or Hobby) table saws are not good value. If I just compared it on paper, the AW254 has same cut capacity as any of the larger saws, but reality is quite different.

Sure. It is a combination of the little things and big things.

• The table surface area is large, so that is a huge plus not only for safely handling larger workpieces but also for general table space, better for all your table saw jigs
  • The larger area in front of the blade is also a huge plus compared to the dinky area on the smaller saw.
  • The riving knife is of a good quality and doesn't bend easily
  • The t square fence carriage is longer, so it is more reliable
  • The fence rail is three times the size in terms of cross section, so it is a much stronger rail.
  • The hardware is of a better quality
  • The extensions are much better quality so they line up better with the saw top
  • The throat insert plate is also better and doesn't warp like the ones on smaller saws, and they are rectangular so easy to make different versions of that
  • Much better selection of blade for a 10" saw than 8" (flat tooth grind / thick or think kerf)
  • The Arbor / blade wobble is very less or non existent
  • 50% More powerful motor (than the AW254, 100% more than AW216), so nothing is a challenge.
  • Just a better experience overall using it, example is the feel of the height adjustment wheel is more premium, as with many things.
  • If you decide to get a sliding carriage, which I didn't, the touchpoints on that are also just better quality.
These things may not seem like a lot, but they will precisely start bothering someone just after the honeymoon period.

When I tried this and felt all these points, I was gutted that for less than 40% extra cost I'd have something which is better by 100% or more on many categories.

Not saying the larger saws like the iTech or Sip are perfect, but for the money the Axminster Workshop (previously known as Craft or Hobby) table saws are not good value. If I just compared it on paper, the AW254 has same cut capacity as any of the larger saws, but reality is quite different.
Then a top quality saw like a Laguna or Sedgwick or startrite is another level above.

What about the one on here going for a unbelievable £250!!!

Then a top quality saw like a Laguna or Sedgwick or startrite is another level above.

What about the one on here going for a unbelievable £250!!!
I agree. I have never used one but have just seen one in the flesh. They are indeed miles better.

Would love to see a Laguna though. Way way way out of my pocket.

Unfortunately over the years the quality overall has dropped, I have been using Axminster for years and a lot of their own products have become very dubious, sometimes I have struck lucky but not often.

I have had the axminster 254 for over a year now and find it a great saw so glad I bought it, it has never missed a beat, the fence is bob on and has cut everything I have thrown at it I cannot recommend it enough.

Cheers the that @bp122! you've convinced me to go at least check one out at the store south of London today to get a feel for it

I looked in detail at the Axminster bench saws but was put off them by user reviews and the fact you'll end up replacing or modifying fences etc. Speaking with someone from Axminster they also advised me that the motors are not trade rated and not designed for daily use and may well not last the distance for professional use so I discounted them, for that reason and all the reasons mentioned above on post #22. I also looked at Record bench saws and the I-Tec saws, although my preference was a Laguna Fusion 3 saw but discounted the I-Tech after reading about quality issues with those, ditto with Record. I also at the time wanted a UK 13A plug limiting me to a 3hp motor. That pretty much limited the field. I ended up buying a Charnwood W650 and despite having some issues with setting it up and keeping it accurate, worked out how to sort it out, modifying some aspects of it and couldn't be happier with it.

The only real downside is the appalling dust collection needing a complete replacement of the dust collection shroud under the table. This was the cheapest, most pointless design and needs binning but can be replaced with a diy solution (basically a lightweight thin ply shroud with no gaps for dust to escape and a more accessible outflow sump). Once sorted, it's a great saw bench for the money, has decent side and outfeed space and a perfectly flat cast iron top plus benefits from a cast iron sliding mitre carriage. It runs true and is relatively quiet in use with more than enough power. From looking around, there's still nothing new for less money available today that I think betters it. My space is limited and whilst I would have dearly loved a Laguna or used Sedgwick, the W650 after a lot of faffing, ticks all the boxes and is a far better proposition than the small hobby saws but you do have to be prepared to sort the cost cutting and design issues out. Prior to that I was using a Bosch GTS 10XC contractors saw which by comparison was noisy, inaccurate and frankly only good for rough sizing for site use.

I looked in detail at the Axminster bench saws but was put off them by user reviews and the fact you'll end up replacing or modifying fences etc. Speaking with someone from Axminster they also advised me that the motors are not trade rated and not designed for daily use and may well not last the distance for professional use so I discounted them, for that reason and all the reasons mentioned above on post #22. I also looked at Record bench saws and the I-Tec saws, although my preference was a Laguna Fusion 3 saw but discounted the I-Tech after reading about quality issues with those, ditto with Record. I also at the time wanted a UK 13A plug limiting me to a 3hp motor. That pretty much limited the field. I ended up buying a Charnwood W650 and despite having some issues with setting it up and keeping it accurate, worked out how to sort it out, modifying some aspects of it and couldn't be happier with it.

The only real downside is the appalling dust collection needing a complete replacement of the dust collection shroud under the table. This was the cheapest, most pointless design and needs binning but can be replaced with a diy solution (basically a lightweight thin ply shroud with no gaps for dust to escape and a more accessible outflow sump). Once sorted, it's a great saw bench for the money, has decent side and outfeed space and a perfectly flat cast iron top plus benefits from a cast iron sliding mitre carriage. It runs true and is relatively quiet in use with more than enough power. From looking around, there's still nothing new for less money available today that I think betters it. My space is limited and whilst I would have dearly loved a Laguna or used Sedgwick, the W650 after a lot of faffing, ticks all the boxes and is a far better proposition than the small hobby saws but you do have to be prepared to sort the cost cutting and design issues out. Prior to that I was using a Bosch GTS 10XC contractors saw which by comparison was noisy, inaccurate and frankly only good for rough sizing for site use.
That is good that it is working well for you now. Is that the 8" or the 10" model? Although I no longer have the table saw, people may benefit from seeing your dust extraction mod.

Works very well, but it was attached to a 2000cf LPHV extractor, its not the recent model, Its the old TS250-2 that was replaced by the 254, have a look at this thread: Axminster TS250-2 modifications.
Extensive dust extraction mods on the thread above, Axminster big mouth duct underneath and overhead guard and dust port over.

Last edited:
That is good that it is working well for you now. Is that the 8" or the 10" model? Although I no longer have the table saw, people may benefit from seeing your dust extraction mod.
The W650 is the 10" model. I presently have the original shroud fitted and all gaps taped whilst I refine my wooden version. Basically it's a thin supported timber bin which sits close to the table underside allowing blade tilt with a standard 100mm port opening on one side with a ramp towards it. Definitely a work in progress and I may yet change the design further. I got fed up with all the dust escaping around the base of the machine so am experimenting with various ways to improve how it can be done. The existing one is flimsy plastic held by two screws with loads of gaps around it so a roll of gorilla tape comes out every now and then to re-tape all the joins and gaps but access is very limited via the side panels which are way too small imho. To implement my redesign it'll need several pairs of hands as the saw needs tipping on its side to get a replacement into place. With my back, there's no chance of lifting 280lbs of table saw onto its side never mind lift it back up! It took two of us to get it in place and bring it upright after assembly.

Back