Axminster Trade Series MJ12-1600 Panel Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerBoyle

Established Member
Reaction score
Can I ask if any one has any information on the Axminster Trade Series MJ12-1600 Panel Saw

I see from the blurb that this saw is only 1 hp does anyone know if this is correct ??
I really cant see how this can be the case for a trade rated saw with a scoring unit and the capabilities that the blurb says

How strong /Stable is the outrigger on it ??
Can the side and rear extensions be folded down when not required ???

this is the link for it
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tr ... rod884517/

And yes I did send Axminster an E Mail but still awaiting responce :roll:

Roger

Hi Roger,

Sorry no one has got back to you yet. You should have received an automatic reply that gives you a reference number. If you could let me know the number i will chase it up!

Thanks,

Hi Richard
Thanks for getting back to me so quick =D> =D>
No I have not any reply back
This was over a week ago and if it was redirected to my spam folder then it will have been deleted by now :oops: :oops:
I will send them an other email and keep tabs on my spam folder LOL

Roger

RogerBoyle":2s0nyix6 said:
I see from the blurb that this saw is only 1 hp does anyone know if this is correct ??
I really cant see how this can be the case for a trade rated saw with a scoring unit and the capabilities that the blurb says

You are mis-reading:

A powerful 2.2kW 1ph motor drives

That means its 1 phase, it will run on 240v although you may need a 16amp supply and plug. Sometimes you can get away with a standard plug sometimes not. The actual motor is 3hp.

Np I'm happy to take some commission from the sale in thanks!!

It looks like a top machine, I've always said I'd never upgrade my SIP01332 but I would for this machine.

I did Send another email this morning
And I have had a reply to that
It was also sent to my Spam folder For reasons that are beyond me as I havent set any rules for spam

I also decided to go to visit with Axminster at Nuneaton this afternoon
had a look at the saw and I was impressed with it
So much so that I may buy it :twisted: :mrgreen:

Roger

Chems":3n721i30 said:
Np I'm happy to take some commission from the sale in thanks!!

It looks like a top machine, I've always said I'd never upgrade my SIP01332 but I would for this machine.

Chems your owed some commision LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well I am now the proud owner of the Saw I collected it last tuesday from Axminster in Nuneaton :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Before I could get it fully assembled I had to sell my Beloved Scheppach and move my other table saw out as well
I have then had to totally revamp the layout and move everything about and at almost 200kg my Band saw was the hardest LOL as it needed to go from one side to the other and then Like a woman I decided that i didn't like it there So the Bandsaw, Spindle and Planner thicknesser etc etc have been left grouped in the bottom section of my shed while i carry on setting up the saw :mrgreen: and their final positions will be decided after.

The build
Very straight forward and simple the written instructions were slightly better than the ones that I got with my Scheppach but still leave a bit to be desired the Photos that accompanied the text were more than enough for anybody to assemble it
But to be honest such is the layout of this saw that you don't actually need them to assemble it...

The table was factory set to the blade and it was spot on and it is a very simple thing to adjust the table if its needed. The mitre gauge for the table has just the slightest hint of movement that you can feel rather than see in the slot but a quick bang with a nail punch sorted that out.

I have had to adjust the table fence ( right of the blade)as it was about 2 mm out ( away from the blade) and it was simple enough to do only 4 bolts
The fence Locks onto the table with a cam action lever and is very secure it also has a secondary micro type adjuster for fine tweaking and that works well.A secondary shorter fence that bolts onto the main fence is also suppliers so for them that like a long fence they can have it and them that like a short fence can have that LOL

The blade and scoring attachment were at 90 degrees to the table and in line with each other there is also a bag of shims supplied that should you need to adjust for a wider Kerf Main blade
The scoring attachment is adjusted from the top of the table and is very easy and can be locked off when set

The rise and fall for the Blade is smooth as is the tilt action
With the gemred attached going from stop to stop at 90 degrees I got 90.1, 89.9, 90.0, 89.9
and at 45 I got 45.1, 45.2, 45.1, 45.2 Good enough for me LOL

The sliding table was also very simple and straight forward to fit and adjust (less than 15 mins)
The table and telescopic fence that are attached to the sliding table are quite substantial and are easily locked in position with a chunky cam lever.
and there are markings that are on the table for the angles.
The telescopic fence can be fitted in the front or back of the table I opted for the front

On the sliding table there is also another miter gage that has a hold down fitted which locates on a positive stop and also a black bit of angled metal that you can use as an anti kickback feature .
But to honest I dent think that they will be used that much and will get filed in a cupboard somewhere until such times they are needed ...

The motor starts and gets up to speed quickly and the blade stopped in aound 4 seconds
The supplied blades test cuts in 18mm MFC board were effortless and chip free on both sides ,
I have cross cut some 3 inch Oak and it too was effortless and the finish was good
As saws go its about average for noise..

Only time will tell to how good it is but so far I am blown away with the amount of saw for the amount of money
For anybody thinking of one you are more than welcome to come and have a look and play.
Any questions Please feel free to ask .

Roger

Attachments

• completed saw.jpg
    completed saw.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 6,369
  • Two mitre gauges.jpg
    Two mitre gauges.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 6,367
  • sliding table support.jpg
    sliding table support.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 6,366
  • Sliding table support (2).jpg
    Sliding table support (2).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 6,367
  • Sliding table attachment to saw body and adjuster.jpg
    Sliding table attachment to saw body and adjuster.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 6,365
  • Short fence.jpg
    Short fence.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 6,364
  • 18mm MFC cut.jpg
    18mm MFC cut.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 6,363
  • After Polish.jpg
    After Polish.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 6,364
  • Before polish.jpg
    Before polish.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 6,364
  • Side tables fitted.jpg
    Side tables fitted.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 6,364
That looks like a really quality machine. Will you be using it for any hardwood work, like you would a normal saw bench?

I'm awaiting my commission from Axminsters, I'm sure Richard will sort it out!

How are you finding the alignment of the sliding beam? I looked at this saw before buying mine (a Record TS250-RS), not really in the same league but I'm a hobby woodworker with limited space and I need to be able to move the machine around the workshop. I think this saw has a support leg for the extension tables so you can't move it about once it's set up? My main criticism of the Record is that the sliding beam is a pig to set up, and even now I can't find a way of getting it to stay flush with the main table through the extent of the travel. I can level the beam perfectly with the table, but then if you slide the beam to a new position the heights go out of alignment.

Chems":rh85hfoi said:
That looks like a really quality machine. Will you be using it for any hardwood work, like you would a normal saw bench?

I'm awaiting my commission from Axminsters, I'm sure Richard will sort it out!

It will be used mainly on a mix of hardwoods and MFC panels.
I did cross cut some 3" oak scrap with it and it didn't slow down but I am ordering a rip blade from Cutting Solutions so will be able to give it a proper test then as I have some Ash to cut down for face frames ..

siggy_7":rh85hfoi said:
How are you finding the alignment of the sliding beam? I looked at this saw before buying mine (a Record TS250-RS), not really in the same league but I'm a hobby woodworker with limited space and I need to be able to move the machine around the workshop. I think this saw has a support leg for the extension tables so you can't move it about once it's set up? My main criticism of the Record is that the sliding beam is a pig to set up, and even now I can't find a way of getting it to stay flush with the main table through the extent of the travel. I can level the beam perfectly with the table, but then if you slide the beam to a new position the heights go out of alignment.

The table took less than 15 min to fit and adjust and using calipers I can confirm the measurement is the same at the full extent of travel in both directions
You are correct about the support leg but TBH its not needed on the beam as the beam only projects 18 inches or so from the main bracket on the saw
If you look at this photo you will see the bracket the beam attaches to..Two bolts hold the beam to the bracket and two bolts hold the bracket to the table
There is loads of adjustment at least 10mm in all directions to get it level and square and just below that there are two allen keys type screws which adjusts the camber and hieght of the beam slider to allow it all to be level,, you could actually use it to increase from 0 to 90 cut on the blade to -2 to 92 if you wanted LOL

Attachments

• Sliding table attachment to saw body and adjuster.jpg
    Sliding table attachment to saw body and adjuster.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 6,330
Roger
your black angled bit is a waney edger :
It fits in the T slot at the far end of the sliding carriage. You jam the end of your waney edge board under it and make your rip cut using the slider
Matt

Cheers Matt
I read the instructions finally and that is what they said as well lol

Does anyone know what these bits in the photo are Cause I have got no idea , and they are not mentioned in the silly person guide

My initial thoughts were it was something to do with the fence but I do not see how

Roger

Attachments

• What is this for.jpg
    What is this for.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 6,298
  • What is this for 2.jpg
    What is this for 2.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 6,298
That was my first thoght LOL but I dont see how they can work
the fence is to long from the blade
The mounting holes for the fence are at least 20mm further away
the L shaped bracket has a secondary cam under it which adjusts it slightly a bit like a micro adjuster would
Got to admit its got me baffled lol

Roger

Roger

have you tried having them pointing upwards and stopping the back of the fence against them.

On my Rojek saw I have smaller version of those and you set them to locate the fence at 90 degrees to the sliding table, it means you can take the fence on and off when you are cutting full sheets and keep it set.

Tom

LOL
Sussed it yesterday :oops: :oops:
For some reason I was putting them on the wrong side of the fence
SWMBO has put it down to me being thicker than the wood I'm using LOL

Cheers Tom

Roger

Just remember to fold them completely flat when cutting full sheets as they make a nice mark on the underside of the sheet you are cutting #-o

Tom

Back