Axminster Trade Series MJ12-1600 Panel Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought that I would post an update on here as its almost two months now since I bought the saw..

Since getting the saw set up I really cant fault it , The fence is still solid and accurate as are the indicators for the tilt ( but I still use a gem red LOL)
there is plenty of power provided for cutting any of the timbers that i have used Oak ,Ash ,Tulip wood and a few older beams of Mahogany..
the cut with the scoring attachment is flawless and so far I have cut up around 35 sheets of MFC boards and MR MDF for 3 kitchens and a couple of wardrobes
All the cuts have been fault free

The sliding table has remained level and aligned with the rest of the saw and stills glides beautifully
The stop on the rail is solid and accurate

Now that I have used the saw for a bit there is only the one thing that i wished it had and that would have been a second Flipstop on the sliding table telescopic fence

Not a lot more to say about it to be honest other than it has to be the best value Panel saw out there at the moment

Roger

hi roger just wanted to ask what you think bout th mj12-1600 now cuz im thinking of buying one or the record power ts315 bbut nealy twice the price any feed back wud be greatful

Hi Patch.
So far the saw has been faultless in operation
I have never needed to re-adjust anything since setting it up.
The fences stay in position when set and don't flex
The Sliding table runs smooth and true.

The saw has had a lot of use mainly cutting sheet materials but usually 18mm MFC Boards and 18 and 25mm MR MDF

My only niggles with the saw are
1. The on off button is in the wrong place for me
2. there is no zero clearance option and I do not see how you could make one to fit

The Record is a slightly more powerful saw but you have to buy the sliding carriage and extensions etc. separately
It has slightly less travel on the sliding table and the table itself is not quite as big . it also does not cut as deep in the 45 Degree position and to cut with the 12 inch blade at maximum capacity you need to remove the scoring blades.

Do I think the Record is worth the extra ?????
No Not for me and What I do but I would be happy to own either saw

HTH

Roger

patch":29ipo92d said:
hi roger just wanted to ask what you think bout th mj12-1600 now cuz im thinking of buying one or the record power ts315 bbut nealy twice the price any feed back wud be greatful

Hi Patch,

I got your PM about the saw, but thought it best to post on this thread to help anyone out with the same questions as you. So here goes...

I share Rogers feelings about the saw, mine has been great in the 8months I've had it, I've set it up once and not needed to touch it since. The fence once aligned has stayed mm perfect, the only thing you have to watch is that the back edge of the fence will move in/out a bit when clamped up, so what I do is set it roughly, clamp it down loosely, tweak it a bit and lock it down fully. The fence is rock solid when locked.

Other great points, the 80 tooth 315mm blade included is great, i've used it on loads of MR MDF and it still cuts great, i've even abused it cutting down 75mm softwood and even some Oak when I was being lazy and couldn't be bothered to change the blade for a quick rip cut. The 1500w motor is plenty powerful for this, and hasn't really faultered at anything i've thrown at it. It's also pretty quiet for what is a pretty big beast of a saw.

Now the not-so good points, but I must stress these are annoyances rather than actual problems, and unless you buy a £5k+ I suspect they'll be common for most saws of this type.

1.) Dust extraction, this thing needs some serious suck as the cabinet/blade guard is full of holes, my poor little Numatic NVD750 (300m3/hr) only just removes the worst of the dust, I've tried my little 1000m3/hr chip collector and that was better, but it could still do with a bit more, so a Jet DC1100 with fine filter (1600m3/hr) is on my shopping list.

2.) Switch position as Roger said is a bit naff, however I do find myself working to the left of the saw more than directly infront of it, mainly because its quite a stretch to reach the back of the table. I see axminster have introduced a new version with the switch on the front, the angle wheel on the left (as opposed to the right on mine) and a fence more like the TCE-12 rip saw they sell (not a fence I was all that keen on when I considered that saw).

3.) As Roger has said above, the inset is pretty rubbish, and ripping anything smaller than about 10mm ends up with it disappearing down between the blade and table, a ZCI needs to be made, but it won't be easy given the size/shape etc. Also the blade guard is a bit rubbish (mine is pineappled) and often gets in the way, for example the tightening clamp for the blade guides means I can't get the fence closer than about 50mm unless I raise the blade beyond 75mm depth of cut or install the sub fence (not a big deal, just irritating).

4.) Having to remove the sliding table to rip wide boards, although the fence goes out wide, most of the time I tend to work within 600mm of the blade, so don't use the full table extension width, however its often necessary to remove the sliding table fence because it gets in the way when rip cutting. This isn't unique to this saw, but it doesn't fold down out the way like some others which would have been a nice touch. The plus side is that once set (and to do it accurately I had to use a DTI running down the saw plate) it has stayed dead true ever since, although I still haven't gotten the hang of the quick reset mentioned in the thread above for squaring the sliding table fence back up, they just don't seem to set my fence back to 90 Deg to the saw, so I tend to use a framing square to do this instead.

5.) The instruction manual is rubbish, as you might have guessed from #4 above, and as this thread shows, it doesn't tell you what half the bits do. It's easy enough to assemble and comes well packed, the bits are mostly small enough to be wrestled into place single handedly (if you're fairly strong) on your own. Assembly of the sliding table and side extension tables does need a helper. I had mine put together and set up in about 2-3hrs with some help from the Mrs.

In conclusion if you want a good size general saw that can handle panels regularly and a decent depth of cut, this is a fantastic saw and I wouldn't be without mine. It's easily the best value saw at the old price of £1419, but the new one is pushing the upper bounds, even so it's a great saw so still worth that price. I have no regrets about buying it (well maybe except that I could still do with a bigger workshop now) and would buy the same again. If you're anywhere near South Lincolnshire you're more than welcome to come and try mine out.

Regards, Tom.

thanks tom and roger for ur replies im new to this forum stuff so am figuring out how best to reply so sorry for th pm's.

im think im gunna get th mj12-1600m11 as for the price its unbeatable at the moment it seem they have sold out of the previous model on axi site.
now with choice of saw made onto extraction
thanks again everyone =D>

I can mirror the thoughts above. I have just assembled this saw yesterday and started to use it, and I am very very impressed with it. I did however, build and install the thing myself. Purely as there was no one around to help! I am now looking for some decent extraction myself.

I will see what I can do about making a zero clearance insert myself. I have the benefit of being able to laser cut MDF to possibly suit the odd shape., even CNC router it (once I get it set back up).

The switch are in an awful position, and I may rewire it with a second switch (if that is possible) to give the option of 2 sided operation. I do think it needs an easier accessible E-stop on the other side!

thanks agian everyone for ur help.
would it be possible for anyone to make a video of there saw being used and a general review that they could upload on here or on youtube but put the link in a post on here.
if anyone would have the time to do that id be so greatfull
thanks again eberyone for there time and input

Can anyone recommend a damn good extractor to go with this saw? I think I may want to add cartridge filters for the small particle size (I will be ripping down MDF sheets at some point).

Budget is really as much as it needs to be, would spend upto a grand I think, but would rather spend a lot less of course!!!!

It's great to see all these positive reviews, I have been thinking about getting one of these for a couple of months, need to get around to ebaying my Fest CS50 and then I'll be good to go.

:D

RogerBoyle":70291kf5 said:
My wife bought me this http://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-woo ... 240v/11722 when I mentioned that I needed a more powerful extractor
It seems to cope with the saw very well .
You will need an adapter though as its a 140mm hose

No Idea where she got it from or even how much she paid for it but knowing her it would not have been the screwfix price LOL
That price is on par with most sellers - apart from the likes of machine mart who want over £900 for it :lol:

So I fancy the 802 from axi, or that scheppach.

Looking to be the 802, since I can easily get the cartridge filter, and it has 2 100mm inlets, so has slight expandibility.

Philly,

Per my post earlier in this thread, I'm saving for a jet dc1100 with fine filter cartridge, at less than 600quid at axi including a 1micron fine filter its cheaper than either of the options suggested above, and has just as much suck, the jet figures are on the consetvative side at 1600m3/hr, it'll give any of the 2000m3/hr machines a run for their money, the major advantage being the vortex cone which adds some cyclonic action to the inlet so less dust reaches the filter, very important on a fine filter machine.

Theres some great reviews on YouTube worth checking out.

Regards, Tom.

Well, i have ordered the dc1100, without cartridge filter (for now). I will be buying it at a later date though! Will report back.

PhillyDee":2c9sft9j said:
Well, i have ordered the dc1100, without cartridge filter (for now). I will be buying it at a later date though! Will report back.

Did you get it yet philly? if so what do you reckon to it?

Regards, tom.

Heh, keep meaning to update. It has a lot of suck, but I feel the design of the hood for the saw itself is actually terrible. There is far more dust comes from the rear of the saw where the riving knife is and ends up airborne. I also feel the cabinet itself could do with a bit of sealing to help the extraction. I am looking at modifying the guard somehow to help with the extraction, and may add a much larger diameter hose, and maybe utilise the 2x100mm outlets and run a 100mm duct to the hood. Any ideas how best to do it?

It is quite a quiet extractor, so I am impressed with it that way.

It can seem a bit flimsy on the supports, but is perfectly functional, and you can see the vortex working so that's also a good thing. Easy enough to put together. If fitting the bag, it does tell you to assemble all 3 supports, then disassemble a support to add the bracket to hold the bag. Instructions written by special people methinks!

All in all, I am happy with it! Its relatively cheap, and does what it says. Of course, I have nothing to compare it to!

Latest posts

Back