Axminster super precision chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHJ":2y9c27jq said:
That's an interesting pick up John, be interesting to see if it's an easy access method to enable quick chuck changes.

Just had this response from Richard at Axi. so I'm not the only one to have missed that Para.
I am waiting for an answer from our Engineers to see if there is any way around this issue.
Hope you do not have to remove the jaws completely to access the locking screw, may be a show stopper for those folks who like to leave an item mounted on the chuck whilst they tackle other jobs.

From what I've seen of the chuck you won't have to remove the jaws completely to access the locking screws (there are 2 of them). They lock onto the spindle register as oposed to the spindle thread and I believe are only intended for sanding or light cutting when the lathe is in reverse rotation rather than heavy cutting.

Mark Hancock":1jqthzzv said:
.....From what I've seen of the chuck you won't have to remove the jaws completely to access the locking screws (there are 2 of them). They lock onto the spindle register as oposed to the spindle thread and I believe are only intended for sanding or light cutting when the lathe is in reverse rotation rather than heavy cutting.

Thanks for the info. Mark, guess it will all sort itself out given a bit of time for user feedback.

On the "locking on thread" point ALL the chucks I have, both wood and metal lathe, the locking screws are situated so that they engage in a spindle detent located within the clear spindle area between thread and locating collar which is there to aid the screw cutting of the thread and of course serves the purpose of avoiding damage to the threads.

Chas

There has been a chicken and egg situation for a number of years now regarding the locking of chucks on lathes. The lathe manufacturers won't put the locking groove on the spindle because there aren't the chucks available to lock onto the spindle; the chuck manufacturers won't put the locking screw on the chucks because there isn't the locking groove on the lathe spindle. There are a number of exceptions to this I know eg Oneway chucks have locking screws and a number of lathes have the locking groove. Axminster's new approach appears to break this stand off without as you say damaging the spindle thread.

Latest posts

Back