Axminster Super Precision Chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

This is a followup to my previous thread about a chuck adapter for my vicmarc chuck. I didn't bother buying a thread adapter. Instead the chuck is on it's way to another forum member.

The main reason for this is so I can buy a chuck which is better suited to my graduate lathe. I can't afford the oneway stronghold that I hope to get. I also read a few reviews on it and I'm not convinced it's the best thing to have as my only chuck. Instead I'm looking at the Axminster Super Precision chuck. I contacted Axminster about this a few days ago and they weren't expecting any until May. Tonight I've checked their website and it's due in within a week. Before I head up to Nuneaton and buy myself one are there any other chucks in this price range (135 quid plus jaws) that I should be considering?

Cheers,

Dave

Dave

You might want to look at the Versa Chuck from The Toolpost. It comes with three sets of mounting jaws and one set of accessory jaws. I have one and am happy with the engineering.

Bill

Cheers Bill. I'd never taken a proper look at the VersaChuck until today. I'm a bit concerned over it's build quality compared to the Axminster chuck but the Toolpost seem to be very helpful.

The Axminster chuck is now showing as out of stock again (they've taken off the 'expecting in one week' bit). Good job I'm in no rush for the chuck.

If anybody hears of somebody looking at selling either of these chucks can you let me know.

Cheers,

Dave

I took a look at the axminster chuck at the weekend. It didn't seem as smooth as my old vicmarc but did seem very well made. They're showing as back in stock on the axminster site. Once I've got some money again I'll order one.

Cheers,

Dave

Dave I don't know if they still do different versions of the precision chuck.

Earlier ones were originally made in UK I believe, and available with a whole variety of back plates.

A cheaper kit version was introduced a few years ago that I believe may not be UK made.

Both were listed separately at one time, don't know if that's still the case.

Could be why you are seeing a difference, mine's 13+ yrs old (carries a APTC logo) and is still going strong.

Dave

In my opinion you can't really go wrong with the Axminster Super Precision chuck. I've had 2 for nearly 20 years and they are still going strong. For me it has 2 advantages over it's nearest competition, the Vicmarc and the OneWay Stronghold:
1. It has a removable backplate for changing for different lathe spindle sizes rather than an insert which sometime limit the thread size options available. If a backplate is not available for a specific thread I know Mark at Axminster will produce one to order. So if you change lathe in the future you can get a backplate to suit.
2. Assuming you have each jaw set on their own assessory carriers it's quicker and easier to change jaws because the chuck doesn't have the stop preventing the jaws from sliding out. I don't have to undo 8 screws each time and redo them to change jaws. I know some will see this as dangerous but used with common sense it's not an issue for me. It also allows you to put the jaws on the chuck in a different sequence and so hold work 4mm off centre for different effects.

Remember also you can get the double threaded backplate off the shelf to suit your Graduate lathe, turning inboard and outboard.

As Chas says they did have a batch in from abroad but I think they are back to making their own again.

Dave,

I have 2 x Ax SP Chucks, a Vicmarc VM120 and an early Supernova with a range of jaws for the above.

I am in Nailsworth, you would be welcome to come over and have a look at any / all of the above if it helped your selection process.

S

Latest posts

Back