Axminster super precision chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard@Axminster":1jqvkql3 said:
The original SP Chuck was actually made in Poland, along with the Axminster Accessory Mounting Jaws.

Richard.

Then all I can say is the quality control guys both ends worked well, should not have been surprised as several of my engineering chucks come from similar roots.

Just been up the shed, and as they say the camera doesn't lie, far better at reading the small print than these old eyes.
DSCN2987.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2987.JPG
    DSCN2987.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 1,429
Yes had seen it Richard, good news on the better quality chuck front.

Bad news for me personally, firstly you currently don't offer a 1-1/2" 6 TPI version and secondly it would appear that the new body design is not compatible with the old style backplates so no chance of fitting a new body to my spare 'old style' backplates that fit my spindles.

Certainly would be interested to know if removal of the indexing/retaining back plate would allow fixing of new body to old backplates (machining old backplates for correct location, drilling a tapping body etc. for fixings is not a problem for me)

EDIT: Answered my own question by the looks of it, the exploded view would appear to have too little metal left in the shell for an engineering chuck type fixing as per the old style units, could possibly pick up the peripheral fixing points I suppose.

henton49er":2c4g2pfr said:
CHJ":2c4g2pfr said:
you currently don't offer a 1-1/2" 6 TPI version

Chas,

They do when I look at the web page; last one on the list.
Apologies indeed they do, they have snook that R/L option in since I first saw them a few days ago.

Must raid the piggy bank, but for a bit more than I'd hoped as my backplates are now redundant.

It's a very welcome return IMHO and has some real innovative features.

Like Chas though I can't help being a bit disappointed that the ISO backplate compatibility went out with the bathwater.

I can appreciate that the new chuck grips closer to the headstock which is good but at the cost of some of the flexibility and portability.

Jon

Hi

Those longer jaws may end up spending a lot of time outside the circumfrence of the chuck body - watch your knuckles / tool rests etc. :wink:

Regards Mick

Spindle":y9w7v6ry said:
Hi

Those longer jaws may end up spending a lot of time outside the circumfrence of the chuck body - watch your knuckles / tool rests etc. :wink:

Regards Mick

Yes been pondering that aspect, not bothered about the protruding jaw carriers themselves, I'm used to metal lathe chucks which often have this 'feature', but more what function the longer carrier has, thought at first it was to get a greater travel to improve the flexibility of Cole jaws etc. (the 125mm chuck is the best animal for this) but if the images are to be believed then the scroll 'teeth' are the same count and biased to the centre of the carrier just as on the shorter ones, thus as far as I can see they can only supply a very small amount of extra lateral stability when fully closed and a marginally better/stiffer 'back' support for larger diameter accessory jaws.

Maybe it's just a cosmetic design feature so that the larger diameter accessory jaws/carrier interface looks better proportioned.

henton49er":1k0l8tih said:
CHJ":1k0l8tih said:
you currently don't offer a 1-1/2" 6 TPI version

Chas,

They do when I look at the web page; last one on the list.

I think you are both right :) When I first saw the new chuck via facebook a few days ago it didn't appear to offer a 1-1/2" x 6 version. Maybe there was a re-think or it was an ommission. Either way it great to see it there.

It does not appear as an option in the current raft of adverts in such as the wood turning mag either Mark.

As much as I am glad that what is hopefully a better quality product is finally making it to the market place again, a rush to pre-promote a product that is not yet on the regular shelves in quantity does cause a negative impression some times.

spasm":wnmj9rg9 said:
Also why is there not a T38w x 3.5 for the woodfast lathe? axi used to cut that thread before!
spasm

Maybe the T38 version is configured to accommodate the shorter thread length of the woodfast, or are the register collar details different enough to prevent location.

Just goes to show how one can get caught up in the excitement of something . I was just about to send off an order for the new chuck when I realized that Idont have a lathe anymore .

Just coming round to getting another chuck body and weighing up the choice between the Axi. Evolution which I would like to go for, maintaining consistency of standards and a Versachuck Body which can be fitted to my existing ISO back plates.

Suddenly realised that there is a no brainer reason for me not to go for the new Axi chuck. There is no way I can fit a locking screw to its mounting as far as I can see, something I consider essential as I regularly use the machine in reverse mode.

Then again there are advantages to forgetting my spare ISO backplate and getting another Axi Goliath 125mm, not such finesse as the precision versions but should be fine for my main use of reverse mounting with wooden ply jaws.

Time to get the plastic out and stop prevaricating me thinks. Perhaps a query to Axi. to confirm my reservations re: the evolution just in case.

That's an interesting pick up John, be interesting to see if it's an easy access method to enable quick chuck changes.

Just had this response from Richard at Axi. so I'm not the only one to have missed that Para.
I am waiting for an answer from our Engineers to see if there is any way around this issue.
Hope you do not have to remove the jaws completely to access the locking screw, may be a show stopper for those folks who like to leave an item mounted on the chuck whilst they tackle other jobs.

On a slight aside, whilst looking up Axi. contact details I noticed Richards (Axi.) signature link to the Skills centre Blog.
whilst the main aim is to promote the facility it seems there might be an interesting aside, designed no doubt to keep your attention :lol: in the form of project 'how too's' don't know if they are to be a regular feature. Anyone for making a simple A frame engine?

Back