Axminster Specials SALE at Sittingbourne

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ByronBlack":3nh4f3pr said:
Jim - thanks for the info. I've got an axminster specials brochure that is advertising those block planes, hence why I thought I'd ask. I've had a LV block plane in the past which was great, but quite heavy. I've also had a bronze 102 LN which I didn't get on with due to the non-square sides.

I use a block so rarely, that I think it might be worth investing in one of these axminster jobbies for the times when I need to some small area planing.

Which would be more useful though? the 90.5 or the 60.5? I can't make my mind up.

I'm used to the 60.5 because I have a Stanley which is tuned up. It's a really old one so is "before the rubbish" period. I would say that the Axminster felt on par with the older Stanley's if not a tad better. In fact I would put it between the Stanley and the LN in quality.

I didn't try the 90.5 as they didn't have one today..Peter says they sold out on all these in a very short time so that must say something I guess.

You don't still have the LN block do you...I am into forstering! :wink:

Jim

If anyone is interested this is the sort of deal that Axminster had today with a 20% discount

810369_l.jpg

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... -23237.htm

Which at a standard price of £587 would see it go for about £470. But according to Jim at least one of the two were damaged, and the other one was sold.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Jim,

I'm afraid I don't have the LN - I sold it some years ago. It was a nice little plane, did everything it should have, and very compact and useful, but I missed having the square edges to shoot with. I'd definitely recommend one if you are ever in the market for a small handy plane.

I think as Mike says...if you get 20-25% off a large item that is a HUGE amount of money...but for the dinky bits and bobs...well it was hardly bargain bin stuff.

The selection that was on offer was quite widespread....almost every section (um...including the Japanese chisels...but we won't mention them...) had a couple of things on offer at least...it wasn't a gimmick by any stretch of the imagination.

If Axi watch here...which I think they do...I would suggest they have a "Harrods" type sale next time...just a few items really knocked down to encourage early birds....just a suggestion.

I wouldn't mind seeing some bits of broken things going for a song too...for those of us that fix up and adapt. I mean, what are they going to do with it other than bin it anyway?

The two bandsaws above Mike were both ok...one sold and both too small for you. It was others (like a little Jet) that were broken...but they were doing deals on those with individuals I think.

I'm rather glad about going anyway...I have reached another level of "sharp" now with a combination of "Scary Sharp" and Bears...interesting tinkering this afternoon...more on the Hand Tools forum if you are interested.

And those Clifton chip breakers are seriously good value...a key upgrade to a Stanley or Record without doubt.

I did some shavings with some pine...but I can't find them.... :D :D :D :D

Not to worry about the LN BB....I can't afford it now anyway...and I want to stay this side of the law with the Cornish Lass....she's making some "Hairy Biker" receipe whatever that is...best not to shock her too much!! :wink: :D

Cheers guys and gals

Jim

Back