Axminster Specials SALE at Sittingbourne

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
It appears that Axminster is having a "Specials Sale" at Sittingbourne tomorrow:

Axminster wrote (on Facebook)

Description.It's that time of the year again and we are having a great big clear out. We are selling off all of our machines that could be mail order returns, shop soiled display machines or some that have been slightly damaged in transit. We call these machines SPECIALS and there will be many available at incredibly low prices.

If you are looking for a superb bargain, make sure you've set aside some time to call in at our Sittingbourne store this Saturday. We can promise you will not be disappointed!

Please note: the majority of products will be ex-catalogue, clearance and returned items

They say that these machines will be sold at incredibly low prices, but whether their idea of incredibly low prices are the same as mine, it remains to be seen, but you never know. :D

Anyway as I am after a new bandsaw I would have loved to pop in, but as it is a 1266 mile round trip I will never be able to make it at this short a notice, and on top of that I fear that any savings I make on the machine will be eaten up by the expenses (ie petrol prices) :twisted:

As I cannot get there I am wondering if anyone that is going would be willing to see if any of the following bandsaws are discounted?

Axminster Plus AP4300T/1

"""" """" AP5300T/1 (not the AP5300HDS which is more expensive)

Jet JWBS-16 Mk2

"" JWBS-18 Mk2

"" JWBS-18Q

Because Philly rates it highly I would prefer the AP4300T, but I am open to recommendations from other members for one of the above, or even any saw that I have not mentioned, just as long as it's roughly the same quality and spec.

Before anyone asks, I know that I said that I was going to spend my birthday money on a drum sander, but despite bumping my thread up I simply could not get enough info from anyone who has personally used/owns one. All I can think of is that members who own one must have missed the thread (Just my luck :roll:)

Anyway I would be extremely grateful if any member who is going could help me [-o< \:da/ That way I could then contact Axminster by phone and organise purchase and delivery.

Many thanks

Mike

hi mike

mines the sbw 4300 if what your after is any where near it grab it with both hands , bloody excellent mate . anyway as it's Ax you know if any prob , they will sort it for you excellent company. hc :D :D

head clansman":3n76hrm1 said:
hi mike

got a pic of the band saw your after. hc

Hi Martin, here's a link to each of them

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... =1&jump=48

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... =1&jump=48

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/18/pro ... 576903.htm

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/23/pro ... 576921.htm

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/19/pro ... 801023.htm

Martin wrote;

hi mike

mines the sbw 4300 if what your after is any where near it grab it with both hands , bloody excellent mate . anyway as it's Ax you know if any prob , they will sort it for you excellent company. hc

Retired Master Tradesman (Martin)

Yeah mate that is the one Philly has got, and the one that I want is a updated model :D Your view on it seems to be like Philly's. I just hope that someone can help.

Cheers

Mike

Depending on the weather, I will be going over to Sittingbourne on Saturday. However, if it is fine...I shall be at the bootfair until about 11am so that puts me in Sittingbourne about midday.

I think that might be a tad late for bargain hunting...but I will look around for you, these are big purchases so they may last until then.

Jim

jimi43":2s6aemv1 said:
Depending on the weather, I will be going over to Sittingbourne on Saturday. However, if it is fine...I shall be at the bootfair until about 11am so that puts me in Sittingbourne about midday.

I think that might be a tad late for bargain hunting...but I will look around for you, these are big purchases so they may last until then.

Jim

Hi Jim, thanks very much for your offer. As you say you might not get there to get the early bargains. On the other hand I would class these machines as a considered purchase, so I maybe lucky in that no one is in the market for a bandsaw. I will pm you with my number so that you can give me a ring if there is anything of the above.

As Jim may not be there until mid-day I am wondering if there is anyone else who may be there earlier just in time to catch the juicy early bird worm. :lol:

Headclansman has told me that there are a lot of SBW 4300 owners on the forum. What do you guys think of it?

Cheers

Mike

No One else going??????? Okey Dokey

What about members who have the SBW 4300 what are your views on the machine?

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

You may already be doing this, but thought I'd mention in any case: have you got axminster saved as a favourite seller on ebay?

If you do, you can set it up so that you get email alerts when they list new auctions. They used to list quite regularly returned items, and other 'demo' or display machines, i've seen some quite good items go for decent prices - and you benefit from the free delivery.

ByronBlack":3t3yqece said:
Mike,

You may already be doing this, but thought I'd mention in any case: have you got axminster saved as a favourite seller on ebay?

If you do, you can set it up so that you get email alerts when they list new auctions. They used to list quite regularly returned items, and other 'demo' or display machines, i've seen some quite good items go for decent prices - and you benefit from the free delivery.

Hi Colin

No I haven't (I thought that they had stopped their specials until today) but I will in a few minutes. That's a great idea and I know one member bought the main bandsaw that I am after for absolutely silly money, and when I say silly I really do mean it. Lucky begger.

Thankyou

Cheers

Mike

Sorry Mike, I was planning to go but SWMBO has other ideas and if I do make it, it will be late this afternoon.

With regard to offers, as I said in the other thread on this subject - deals tend to be in the region of 10% or so, and all items are returns or slightly damaged / old display stock. Thus you may be lucky and they have what you want, but its not a sale across the entire product range.

What you can do is phone them and ask if they have one in their sale! I have not phoned before as I live close enough to visit, but I have been given access to stock pre- the specials day as I was after something specific and they had one. Would be well worth the price of a phone call early this morning in case.

Steve

Since it is raining a bit and the silly sods at the bootfair were crowding over a sonic toothbrush, a very large knife which would be sure to get you locked up and a breast pump (what's that for!? :D )......I gave up after 5 minutes when the coffee stand advised me that it would take 1 hour and four nuclear devices to boil their water and....

retired home for an espresso and a few moments on here until it is safe to head over to Sittingbourne without having to sit in the car park and look like (another) sad git.

Anyone else going...or looking for something special.

Mike...I have your list in my pocket, will call you when I get there either way.

Jim

StevieB":3ptyroi0 said:
Sorry Mike, I was planning to go but SWMBO has other ideas and if I do make it, it will be late this afternoon.

With regard to offers, as I said in the other thread on this subject - deals tend to be in the region of 10% or so, and all items are returns or slightly damaged / old display stock. Thus you may be lucky and they have what you want, but its not a sale across the entire product range.

What you can do is phone them and ask if they have one in their sale! I have not phoned before as I live close enough to visit, but I have been given access to stock pre- the specials day as I was after something specific and they had one. Would be well worth the price of a phone call early this morning in case.

Steve

No problem, thanks very much for at least posting and letting me know, and for the advice on phoning them. But it's all been sorted now thanks to Jim who phoned me while he was walking around Axminster. At least I can say I have been to Axi now, or at least my voice has :lol:

Anyway they were giving a reasonable 20% off (which would have meant about £220 reduction), but unfortunately none of the bandsaws were anywhere near what I wanted :cry:

Thanks again Steve

Cheers

Mike

Jim wrote,

Since it is raining a bit and the silly sods at the bootfair were crowding over a sonic toothbrush, a very large knife which would be sure to get you locked up and a breast pump (what's that for!? )......I gave up after 5 minutes when the coffee stand advised me that it would take 1 hour and four nuclear devices to boil their water and....

retired home for an espresso and a few moments on here until it is safe to head over to Sittingbourne without having to sit in the car park and look like (another) sad git.

Anyone else going...or looking for something special.

Mike...I have your list in my pocket, will call you when I get there either way.

Jim

We're all sad gits when it comes to tools mate :D

I would like to thank you very much for putting yourself out and having a look around for me, it is very much appreciated, and I hope that I can return the favour one day.

Cheers

Mike

Mike...it's a pleasure...

Steve and Neil were there too...I think we all ended up buying something...it's a disease really...like you go there with this aching pain which can only be satiated by buying something...

I tend to get a large dose of medicine so I don't have to go back for a repeat prescription.

Peter was there honing the discounted planes for prospective buyers...what a nice guy he is! He had his Tormek T7 running and a couple of Bear waterstones for honing...I have to admit...I managed to get a pair of Bears out of hibernation on the way out! :oops:

JUST to see how they compare with Scary Sharp you understand...nothing else...really...REALLY!!

The missus wanted to know how I managed to pay £55 for two bits of brick...I DID point out to the Cornish Lass that they were ALSO selling a huge lump of granite for £75 which....had I been a tad more energetic would now be testing the limits of my Focus!

Oh...and I bought some Clifton chip breakers...one for my No.7 and one for the No.4....just to prove that I am supporting the country...the economy....the rise from recession AND my irons...all in one go...which is more than any of the hung politicians have managed to do this weekend!

I will review these later once I have tinkered with me new Grizzlies!

Cheers guys and nice to meet up with a couple of you again!

Jim

ByronBlack":1fb716cg said:
Mike,

Hi Colin, I have just put Axminster on my favorites list, but their personal email, as apposed to the one Ebay say they will also send you, mentions nothing about the specials/returns etc that you talk of above. Is this the alerts you were talking about?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm not at my computer at the moment so I can't check, but ebay usually sends you an email as and when new items are listed by your favourited sellers - I believe there are some options you can select for frequency and what not. When I get in this evening, I'll take a look at the page, and will send you some clearer instructions in how to set this up.

Did anyone happen to look at the £30(approx) newish axminster block planes (60.5 + 90.5)? They look quite smart in the pictures, certainly better than some of the older block planes they sold.

ByronBlack":3guawcov said:
Did anyone happen to look at the £30(approx) newish axminster block planes (60.5 + 90.5)? They look quite smart in the pictures, certainly better than some of the older block planes they sold.

They had three on special offer...they are £34 new...and they had sold by 9:15am!!!

Peter showed me one and it is streets above the old ones they sold. Much better castings...machined surfaces..quite thick iron.

He was just honing the last one for a customer who dashed off with it so I didn't get a chance to play with the piece of stock he had in the vise but it just "felt" good.

THEN...I oggled a LN at £100 and IMHO...I would save up and buy one of those.

And it isn't just a name thing...it really is a beautiful piece of work...

They also had an LN Block plane in that gorgeous bronze...£70 reduced from £94 and a shoulder for a ton...but I could just FEEL the Cornish Lass whittling a cross on which to hang me so I refained.... :wink:

Jim

Jim - thanks for the info. I've got an axminster specials brochure that is advertising those block planes, hence why I thought I'd ask. I've had a LV block plane in the past which was great, but quite heavy. I've also had a bronze 102 LN which I didn't get on with due to the non-square sides.

I use a block so rarely, that I think it might be worth investing in one of these axminster jobbies for the times when I need to some small area planing.

Which would be more useful though? the 90.5 or the 60.5? I can't make my mind up.

Back