Axminster search facility

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find the Axminster search facility rubbish. It invariably comes up with lots of random stuff that has nothing to do with what you are searching for, even if you click on one of the headings in the drop-down box that appears to be the correct heading for what you are searching for. I've given up using it - life's too short.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I also have occasional problems with searching for an item, only to find it's in a different section or it's called by a slightly different name to the one I'm expecting. But I think this is a common problem on a number of sites. However I would say that mostly when I search on the Axi site the item I'm looking for comes up fairly promptly, therefore I wouldn't myself criticize Axminster too strongly.

What might make a difference to a person's outlook on this subject is that wasted time for a professional person is usually wasted money, where as a retired person such as myself with time to spare, it doesn't matter so much if it takes a bit longer than it should.

Cheers,

John

I had to read several posts in this topic to discover what what meant by a bench brush. In my profession we used what we called a dust brush or dusting brush. If the OP had searched for what he needed by either of those two names then I doubt he would have been subjected to frustration.

Owl":lr6dpj2q said:
I had to read several posts in this topic to discover what what meant by a bench brush. In my profession we used what we called a dust brush or dusting brush. If the OP had searched for what he needed by either of those two names then I doubt he would have been subjected to frustration.

A very wise Sage! Only search for something if you know what it is called on the website before you start your search that way you are bound to find it.

The problem is in many parts of the world and when I did my apprenticeship it was called a bench brush.

I've just checked at the Axi site to see what happens if I type bench brush into the search box (without quotes).

As anyone else can see by clicking here http://www.axminster.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=bench+brush
I got a page with 30 items on. Number two is this dusting brush

610637_xl.jpg

and number three is this dustpan and brush

719522_xl.jpg

so unless neither of them is what was meant by 'bench brush' I think the search facility is working.

However, if this all relates to the old Axminster site - before it was re-launched to much discussion here, including some responsive posts from people at Axminster - I see no point in dredging it all up again, other than to point out that they have listened to their customers and done a decent job of implementing a search facility that while not psychic is, in my experience, pretty good.

Andy
As I spoke to Axminster about this over a week ago, and given they do care about customer feedback I think they may have changed the search facility. Hence the item required is number 2.

Yes I too am fed up with Axmisnter web site and think it is one of the worst that I have come across, I swore I would never buy from Ruttlands again a few years ago but this week in frustration with Axminster I placed an order with them after searching the Axminster site for almost 30min and could not find what I wanted although I know they stock it. I have spent thousands of pounds over the last 10 years or more with Axminster but I think this is the thin of the wedge and will be spending my money elsewhere in future

Placed an order after flicking through axy book. Many items are discontinued so instead of having the picture and discontinued it just shows as ' no results found ( or something similar) I couldn't understand why they'd discontinue a nail gun so rang them to query it- it was just a website error and needs to be altered :lol: now I have the situation of not knowing whether somethings discontinued or just not put on the website, even though its in the book. Surely it would be better to leave the discontinued item on the page ( but obviously labeled as such) until the next publication. Searching 'paint stirrer/ paint mixer' was a joke :x

ColeyS1 - I think I must be using a different website!

I typed the words paint stirrer into the search box and clicked on return. This is what I got:

stirrer.JPG

I generally use a bit of stick, so may be unfamiliar with what you had in mind, but it does seem to have found paint stirrers as far as I can see.

Attachments

• stirrer.JPG
    stirrer.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 59
AndyT":3ij4chlm said:
ColeyS1 - I think I must be using a different website!

I typed the words paint stirrer into the search box and clicked on return. This is what I got:

I generally use a bit of stick, so may be unfamiliar with what you had in mind, but it does seem to have found paint stirrers as far as I can see.
Try 951000- polypro squirrel paint mixer- No clue on the website it's been discontinued, I tried '951000 Axminster' in Google search and still wasn't sure what was going on. I typed in paint stirrer trying to find it and found various drill stirrers on page 1 then another on page 2 mixed in with other unrelated stuff then another on page 3. I didn't have time to look at the other pages incase it was hidden amongst them. In an ideal world it'd be better having them all grouped on the first page with less relevant items on pages 2,3,4,5 etc. Can't beat having a paper catalogue it seems, atleast the index is easy to understand and navigate.

Ah I see what you mean. I do agree that they could improve the way they treat discontinued items. In your example the database 'remembers' the brand name and offers it to help complete the search terms, but then fails to display it. It would be better if it displayed the discontinued item, said it was discontinued and offered current alternatives - just like a good sales person would do!

I was gonna say I usually just use a stick on most paints ;) only thing I find a drill powered one is better is on dulux aluminium primer. It's usually like water on the surface but the bottom few inchs is like soft plasticine. I can easily be 10-15 minutes trying to get the two to mix, great paint though !

woodfarmer":3shw7tbw said:
Today I gave up trying to find angle grinder cutting disks so ordered them from Screwfix.

The problem was that you searched for 'cutting disk' whereas you should have known that you have to search for 'cutting disc' :roll:
Any remotely decent search engine ought to be aware of alternative spellings such as disk/disc, arbor/arbour etc

Another search. Look for a pack of 10x 50 dominos for a DF 500. Eventually I rang them to find out that you will only find them if you know the axminster product code

PAC1":2qctbzks said:
Another search. Look for a pack of 10x 50 dominos for a DF 500. Eventually I rang them to find out that you will only find them if you know the axminster product code
I've just copied 10x 50 dominos into the search box and they're on the first page of results.
How hard is this search process for some people ?

Rhossydd":yn32phco said:
PAC1":yn32phco said:
I've just copied 10x 50 dominos into the search box and they're on the first page of results.
How hard is this search process for some people ?
Strange the girl I spoke to at Axminster could not find them either! In future I will contact you and you can find it for me!

pcb1962":bekdzz7t said:
woodfarmer":bekdzz7t said:
Today I gave up trying to find angle grinder cutting disks so ordered them from Screwfix.

The problem was that you searched for 'cutting disk' whereas you should have known that you have to search for 'cutting disc' :roll:
Any remotely decent search engine ought to be aware of alternative spellings such as disk/disc, arbor/arbour etc

Actually I tried both. also just disc/disc and many other variations. was no trouble on the screwfix website.

Screwfix 359 stores
Axminster 6 stores

Any clues there as to which business might have more resources at it's disposal ?

Latest posts

Back