Axminster Price Checker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blimey - there are some big price rises in store for hand planes - all the LN/LV/Clifton prices are shooting up. Wonder if this is anything to do with the APTC/Brimarc merger :-k

Cheers

Karl

!!

Square Drive Wood Screws - 1.1/4", No.8 Coarse, Washer Head x 500
Spring/Summer '08
£12.04
Autumn/Winter '08/'09
£15.94

:shock: :shock:

Yeah - two of the planes that caught my eye were the LV block - up from £102 to £142, and the LV 5 1/4 jack, up from £160 to £257 - a 60% increase! What on earth is going on - and I wonder if other suppliers will follow suit?

Cheers

Karl

It was only a matter of time, really, wasn't it. :(

I thought their prices had gone up with the last catalogue anyway...?

Looks like it's going to be a windfall for Clifton though, if the 2 examples I just looked at are anything to go by.

LV large shoulder plane up by £63 (39%), but Clifton No7 only goes up 14% to £260.
LNs low angle block plane rises by the same sort of level as Cliftons range, about 20%, to £134 odd, whilst the LV version is hiked by an eyewatering 39%.

We could go on like this for days, but it seems that LV stuff is going to be subject to much higher price rises than comparable items from other makers. It's not restricted to hand tools or stuff from the states either, a quick look at the Jet range for example sees rises of up to 26% (10" supersaw).
This seems like an odd way to do business to me, we all expected price rises, but these sorts of levels will make me shop much more carefully for my stuff. Gone are the days of buying from Axminster as a matter of course, and as far as LV is concerned it's a shame that the customer base in this country is so small compared to their home turf - even if everyone here stopped buying their kit I suspect they'd hardly notice. Shame really, there's few things that gets a company's attention like a sharp downturn in sales.

MarkW":3h4sggip said:
a quick look at the Jet range for example sees rises of up to 26% (10" supersaw).
Had a quick look at the price of the Jet SS and it's now £1099 and it was about £1k iIrc... so a hike of about 10% - Rob

woodbloke":32so6n2o said:
MarkW":32so6n2o said:
a quick look at the Jet range for example sees rises of up to 26% (10" supersaw).
Had a quick look at the price of the Jet SS and it's now £1099 and it was about £1k iIrc... so a hike of about 10% - Rob

Current price is 1099, come Sept. it will be £1388, hence 26%.

MarkW":3vrm8wld said:
woodbloke":3vrm8wld said:
MarkW":3vrm8wld said:

:shock: :shock: - Rob

i want the Vir block plane thats going from £102. £141.9... but sells else where for the 102 make to there just lose me when i come to buy it unless it has not gone up then

MarkW":1f1kzy39 said:

:shock:

\:D/

Had that price increase have happened before I'd made a decision, then it would have rules out the Supersaw altogether. Tis an odd world we live.

wizer":2t9w5ujx said:
MarkW":2t9w5ujx said:

:shock: Didn't check that, I paid £799

Had that price increase have happened before I'd made a decision, then it would have rules out the Supersaw altogether. Tis an odd world we live.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: - Rob

woodbloke":x5ei70a4 said:
wizer":x5ei70a4 said:
MarkW":x5ei70a4 said:

:shock: Didn't check that, I paid £799

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: - Rob

Indeed - methinks I'm sending Wizer shopping for me next time I want a machine.

Been thinking about this a little - it does seem that tool prices have remained LARGELY static over the last few years. So I can understand the need for increases.

But why on earth there is such drastic increase, all at once, I don't understand.

Cheers

Karl

To be fair, that deal was hanging around on eBay for a good couple of months. I am astonished no one scooped it up before me, really astonished.

But I'd never have paid full price for it anyway. Would you believe, I even tried to haggle the delivery in for free!! :lol: Failed :( :lol:

That looks apalling! There were some significant price rises in the last catalogue - 10 to 15%, which surprised me as the pound has been high for some time (fell back a bit recently) Especially when you think that general inflation has been so low for years. Even now it's only creeping up to 5%. I haven't seen price rises this big since Wilson devalued the pound and set off high inflation in the early 70's. I wonder what "hard pressed families" would make of the 12.5% mortgage rate we started out with!

I can't believe some of the increases, is this a ploy to get us to spend our money now or has something happened in the world that means these products have to go up this much? I'm feeling like I'm about to get stitched one way or another, I spend a lot there.

I have spent a lot of money at Axminster over the last couple of years, I think I will be shopping around a bit more now.

Some of those increases are ridiculous.

Yeah this was sent in my email so I guess it is not "for all" to know. Its a incentive for the email members i guess. Most companies just put prices up without saying anything. I would guess that axminster have no choice but to put up prices?? Otherwise this is not on. Prices plucked from the air? I dont think so. Suppliers probably put their prices up with credit crunch etc.

Back