Axminster heavy duty delivery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Smith

Established Member
Reaction score
I've won a Jet 60A planer on eBay. It's a customer return and Axminster are selling it as is, in bits on a pallet. It's a worry that someone has taken it to bits but then I got it at half price so it's worth some effort to fix it.

However Axminster have sent me a letter saying they "aim to complete heavy goods deliveries within 21 working days" that's over four weeks! I've phoned them and they can't even give me an idea of delivery, except to say it won't be this month.

Has anyone else used the Axminster heavy goods delivery? Were they just as slow? It seems ridiculous to have a four week delivery delay.

Perhaps they don't want to send it to me because it is stuffed and I've wasted £550 :?

They are probably still trying to find all the pieces :wink:

Jason

Keith

Unfortunately, when I bought my Axminster tablesaw, I had the same experience.

Keith
One of the few neutral feedbacks that axminster have, was bemoaning the time for delivery.
Alan

Erm...it does say "within". I think there's a certain covering of bases going on because when they deliver does seem to depend on when they've got enough to make a run in your direction worthwhile. I'd also hazard a guess there'd be more inclination to hurry it up if you'd paid full price, 'cos that's human nature. :wink: Can't say I've ever had to wait that long, but then maybe there just happen to be a lot more Axminster customers down here it being sort of local. It'd be nicer if it was quicker, but then it might also be a) more expensive still, and b) not as good.

Cheers, Alf

Keith
I've used the heavy delivery service a few times. They always say the same thing at first - but usually a letter turns up saying it will be there tomorrow. So hang cool - there's a good chance it won't be long.
Have a chat with the person who does the heavy deliveries in a few days to keep them on the boil.
Hope this helps,
Philly :D

I agree with Philly, they delivered to me within a week, it's the haulage company that sorts out when they deliver not Axminster, it also depends on the area where they deliver i.e. they might only have one delivery every fortnight to somewhere like North Wales, whereas Birmingham could be twice a week, thats only a guess by the way.

Martin

Keith, I have used their heavy goods 3 times now and the longest it has taken is 11 days, and you cannot get much further away then the top of Scotland (unless your on one of the islands). The driver told me exactly the same as Alf has said, they wait until they have got enough deliveries dotted about on the way up to Scotland.

Axminster don't just drop it on your drive either, within reason they will put the machine exactly where you want it.

I seem to remember when I made my first heavy goods order (Jet 54A) moaning on the forum about the £35 delivery cost, and again Alf told me it was worth it, and it certainly was because just before Axminster arrived some silly person blocked the entrance, and the delivery driver had to take the planer off the lorry 100 yards away and bring it down a very uneven drive.

So Keith I would say you will receive it a lot sooner then they have told you. I think they just say that to cover themselves.

Good luck with what seems like a bargain.

Cheers

Mike

If it makes you any happier 21 days is 3 weeks not 4 so theres a week gone from the delivery already lol

Hi Keith,
Had the same problem "within 21 days"...you may find depending on where you live the turnaround could be quicker , as someone else said depending on how often they deliver to your neck of the woods, and they can fill the lorry to capacity..
The driver that made my delivery on the Monday, said he would not be back home till Friday, so its down to them getting enough deliveries to "justify" heavy goods.

HTH

PS, I only had to wait 12 days..
And the charge is more than justified, couldnt fit the TS thru my back gate, the driver (with my hammer) took off the jamb on the gate post to get the TS within 24 inches of my Shed, most deliveries (not from Axminster) have dropped them at the front door and disappeared after signature, with "your problem , mate...I just deliver" scenario...

Thanks everyone for the replies

Jason, you are such a comfort :roll: perhaps they should keep it a bit longer as there are definately bits missing.

When I read the letter I too thought they would probably be far quicker, but it has already been a week and they can't even give me an indication of when its coming. Perhaps Alf is right, I should have paid full price :lol:

Darren, its 21 working days, I take it you work 7 days a week too? I had a day off last week :shock: (we went to the sea-side 8) )

Keith

By the way Keith, I told them and told them when I ordered the saw that i would be at home on two dates (2 weeks after order placed) and they delivered on the first of those days as agreed.

Keith - are you sure that delivery is available on this item as it was bought off eBay?

My reason for saying this is that I bought a morticer from them off-eBay and the eBay details definitely said Buyer Collect. I offered to pay for them to deliver but was told that, because they were operating flat-out re deliveries, that it was buyer-collect only.

I spoke to the delivery guy when my TS came. Axminster use their own employees and vans for heavy delivery, whilst for smaller items they use the 'royal' mail or TNT. They feel that this gives better quality delivery service, but there is a trade-off with speed because it is better to fill up the van.

Like others I called and spoke to the coordinator and then to the driver, both were very helpful and found a time to suit me.

This is one of the reasons I like Axminster (the catalogue is great for browsing too)

Roger, I was surprised too and at this price I would have been willing to drive down to Axminster, of course I wouldn't have had a look round the shop too :^o :lol:

Perhaps they thought it would fetch a better price if they offered delivery, I've paid £45 and I've had the letter so it appears OK.

I think they could be more up front, that delivery can take up to 4 weeks. Normally it wouldn't bother me too much, but this time I'm not sure what I've bought (condition wise) so the suspense is killing me.

I should have gone down today but I had to finish a job (restoring a Cromwellian chair) for tomorrow.

Keith

As an update;

What a coincidence !! I've had an email from Axminster

Delivery has been pencilled in for the first week in October; seems they are very busy at the moment.

But no...not such a coincidence, because they hope I've got my chair finished :?

Well Richard thanks for your email and yes I have finished it and it is off to the upholsterers Monday.

D20_2866s.jpg

No Bostic was used in the restoration of this chair :lol:

Keith

Keith Smith":3fdk2qel said:
But no...not such a coincidence, because they hope I've got my chair finished :?
:lol: Just as long as they've made a note of my support and the cheque's in the post... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I just know it has to be me, but I will ask anyway, what has the chair got to do with the planner and its delivery?

Cheers

Mike

Mike it's the fact they knew about the fact I couldn't go and pick it up because I had to finish a chair (I mentioned in a previous post). Showed someone at Axminster looks on the forum, therefore no coincidence I got an email.

Alf, I expect the check will arrive in 21 working days. :wink: :lol:

Keith

Thanks Keith I'm up to speed now.

Well done Axminster =D> =D>

Just one more reason why Axminster are one of the best companies around, and another reason why so much of my money goes to them rather then other companies.

Cheers

Mike

Back