Axminster CCNPT Problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got an Axminster CCNPT and it's started leaving a slight raised line in the wood when I'm thicknessing. To me it looks like a damaged blade (I think they are reversable on this model) but when I physically check the blade in situ I can't find any blade damage at all. What else could be causing this ? :?

Cheers
Trig.

Trig,

Do you mean a line along the timber in the direction it moves though the machine? If so you have a nick in the knives. It may be very small and difficult to see with the knives in the machine. Place a sheet of paper behind the edge as you look at it to give a consistent back ground and improve your chance of finding the damage.
The blades are double sided in this machine, but a trick that can be used to get extra use from the knives if the nick is only small is to move one knife sideways by the width of the nick.

I agree with what Dave said about offsetting one of the blades slightly. These blades are classed as "disposable", so I very much doubt you'd have much luck trying to sharpen them anyway.

I used to own one of these machines and, funnily enough, I sold it last year to a guy in Fishponds...! :shock: :)

Hi Olly,

I'll try offsetting the blades first before reversing the blades as suggested and if that doesn't work I'll reverse them.

Are the blades easy to change i.e. self locating or is it a bit more involved than that ?

Hi Trigger. If you have the manual for this machine, I found the guide for blade-changing in there to be very helpful. The other thing you'll need is of course the blade setting jig.

I think it was a case of levelling each knife so that it met with the jig at each end of the cutter block, using the grub screws, before tightening the bolts and checking again. It's not easy the first time you do it, but some might say it's easier than having to press down on a machine with spring-loaded blades...

Setting up P/T blades is the worst job in the workshop in my opinion.
If you get a knick you might be able to continue if pieces of wood can be guided on the side away from the damage.

I think this is what happened to my thicknesser yesterday. I have a Makita 2012 and was able to guide the wood away from the problem. I have never changed blades before so looking forward to another new experience :roll:

D

Back