Axminster bandsaw SBW4300WL

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkchapman

Established Member
Reaction score
I just bought a new Axminster bandsaw SBW4300WL. The machine looks very nice, but the instructions that come with it are not great - was wondering if anyone could advise on the following:

1. What is the best way to clean up the protective oil on the table?
2. How should I treat the table to avoid rusting once I have cleaned it?
3. Is the laser gadget just a gimmick, or is it worth taking the time to set it up?
4. The instructions in the "manual" that came with it seem to be geared to a different model with different style of roller guides. I can probably work out how to adjust them by trial and error, but is there a better set of instructions available anywhere?
5. Can I just put a standard 13A plug on it, or does it need something more sophisticated?
6. Do questions like this belong here or in the "General woodworking" forum?

Thanks

1: WD40 and rags.
2:wax it.
3:lazer is pants. Sell it on Ebay :wink:
4: Not that I know of.
5:You can but it blows the fuse every other time on start-up.
6: This will do :lol:

Hope this helps- any more questions just fire away!
Philly :D

1) White spirit
2) wax
3) probably a gimmick, but I've not used one.
4) There are a few Bandsaw books about, The one by Lonnie Bird comes to mind.
5) How big is the motor, I'd have thought 13A would be ok for up to 3kW
6) I'd probably have gone for the general forum but here is ok for me. The moderators may have a different view.

Philly":2tx2is7v said:
1: WD40 and rags.

I thought I read somewhere that WD40 contains silicone which you don't want to get on your unfinished wood because it interferes with finishes.... Was I wrong?

2:wax it.

Liberon lubricating wax do?

3:lazer is pants. Sell it on Ebay :wink:

Anyone want to buy a laser?

4: Not that I know of.

Oh well. Hopefully it's all fairly obvious.

5:You can but it blows the fuse every other time on start-up.

So is the idea that you wire it in to an isolator switch like this one?

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 4&ts=32445

Or is there some other way?

6: This will do :lol:

Cool!

Hope this helps- any more questions just fire away!
Philly :D

Thanks, it does. And I will / have....

George_N":3m3ot59m said:
4) There are a few Bandsaw books about, The one by Lonnie Bird comes to mind.

Have that on its way from Amazon

5) How big is the motor, I'd have thought 13A would be ok for up to 3kW

The plate on the machine says 1.5kW / 11.5A - which doesn't really make sense at 240V unless one is supposed to be continuous and the other peak. I imagine the issue is the surge at startup.

I'll guess I'll try it on a 13A plug and see what happens - hopefully the worst that can happen is I blow a fuse.

6) I'd probably have gone for the general forum but here is ok for me. The moderators may have a different view.

Thanks

Liberon wax is what I use on the tables and I think it's great stuff.

That isolator is NOT suitable. The cable needs overload protection so either wire it into a dedicated 16A supply or fit a 13A plug or fused spur. I have mine wired into a standard plug and the fuse has never blown.

13A may be marginal and lead to v hot fuse and burned plug syndrome. I have the '53 model which pops 13A fuses on run up. Start load will vary with blade size (stiffness) Voltage drop in inadequate cable can result in motor overheating. I definitely need a 16A supply to run up the nice Dragon 1" bi metal 2-3 tpi, let alone do any cutting.

Carnuba wax: I make my own thin, runny, wax from white spirit and 100%carnuba wax flakes (tablespoon flakes in a glass of w.s. warm, or leave several days to dissolve). You're sure the wax is as long lasting and hard as possible then. I keep the wax in an old washing up liquid bottle for easy dispensing. You can build up a good thickness with repeated applications, as the hardened wax does not redissolve in w.s. very easily.

Also get a dehumidifier, wonderful good!

Axminster apologised for the manual which is largely u/s, didn't even have the blade length correct. Said "we want to write a new one". "Bit late", I said.

If you have what the Yanks call european guides - rotating flat disks in porous bronze bearings - don't overtighten, as the bush deforms and locks the disk, preventing rotation.

I found a good use for the laser was to point it at this blokes face (not in his eyes, I was fairly careful)

He was practising his putting at the golf club.

It was so amusing :lol: he sensed it but could not work out where it was coming from.

I got the missus through the crack in the kitchen door when she was ironing. She told me off and took it away. :cry:

It's just not fair. Esc.

Just as an update in case anyone in a similar situation finds this thread on a search....

Although I've not tried any really heavy duty cutting or blades yet, it seems to be working fine on a standard 13A plug.

Latest posts

Back