AWFS 18 top blade clamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MauriceD

Established Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that the Hegner Multicut 1 has a knurled knob as a top blade holder. I have the Axminster look-a-like, the AWFS 18 scroll saw. This has an M4 threaded grub screw for changing the top blade. Does anyone who owns a Hegner know if this knurled knob has an M4 thread so I could buy one and use it on the AWFS 18 to speed up blade clamping?
Thanks, Maurice

I've bought some M4 threaded rod and put a 90degree bend in it to form a lever, works well enough. A metre length costs about £3 . Also need a couple of nuts locked together on the thread to replace what was the head of the grub screw.

From past discussions on this forum the Hegner clamp has a fancy end that allows the blade to remain perpendicular as you tightened - quite whether it's needed? you can make up your own mind.

HTH

Brian

Hi Maurice.
You might like to also consider a very efficient clamping handle/lever which goes by various names like:
Ratchet Handle, Lever handle, Indexed Handle, Bristol Handle, Indexed Clamping Lever.

If you don't know already, this is what one looks like :

365.jpg

If you do a lot of blade changing or internal cuts, it will be a great help as the indexing/ratchet means you can set the lever to multiple angles to suit how you tighten the clamping pressure.
This helps maintain a constant pressure setting for different blade sizes depending where you set the lever/ratchet angle.
Knurled knobs don't have the same 'indexing' ability so in my opinion, levers are a better option.

Each to their own and just my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 365.jpg
    365.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,446

Latest posts

Back