Atkins plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I'm on my second to last wooden plane now, cleaning it up.
i think this might be a mongrel.

This one is 17" long by 3 and a half inches square. The wooden plane has no makers marks, in fact no deliberate marks at all, and the workmanship doesnt have that "look" about it.
the Blade is made by ATKIN AND SONS, with the word BENEFACTION" in an underslung rocker beneath the trade mark. The back iron is also stamped the same. But its not a good fit in the body. Its too tight and needs to be "persuaded" to go all the way in the pocket.
Any info at all?

Atkin and Sons were a prolific Birmingham plane maker, active from 1863 to 1900 when they became Atkin and Sons Ltd and traded until 1966.
Their trademark was actually "BENEFACTUM" which is Latin for "well made."

It's probable that the plane would have had a similar marking - they don't always survive. Sometimes a wipe over with Turps will bring up a faint mark which was invisible at first.

Or it could have been an unmarked, lower grade plane - at 17" long your plane would be a Jack - the commonest and most useful size, and one where most tool shops would have offered a range of planes at different quality/price points.

Or else, as the width is on the big side for a jack, it could have been cut down from a longer plane. How wide is the iron? (And how about some pictures!)

As for the fit, it sounds like the wood has shrunk over the years so may need some very careful chiselling to widen the slot for the iron. There should be enough clearance to be able to laterally adjust the iron by a degree or two.

I've just checked, of course youre right. the trademark is well stamped, except the last two letters, and it looked to me to be "ion", instead its "um".
had another look at the wood, no markings of any kind. Accurate measure this time, 17 1/2" x 3" square. Just had to use a mallet to persuade the blade to come out.

Back