At last

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Found this placetoday after seeing it advertised in last months Woodturning.
I say at last because it is fairly local for me about 10 minute drive.
Had a good old chat to Kevin the owner for nearly 3 hours :shock: who was really friendly and full of helpful advice.
This September there is going to an open day with demonstrations so i will try and get their for that.
Luckily it is situated in a craft centre so swmbo and the kids could have a mooch round at other things.
Bought some more finishing to try and a piece of Indian Rosewood to try.
Also on the way back home i saw a pile of big logs in a garden so we pulled over and asked if i could have some.
The owner said it is from one of two very large Willow trees that they had felled.So i just took 4 lumps of it :D
Does anyone know what Willow is like to turn :?:

Looks an interesting place,judging by the website.Nice selection of timber as well. :D
As for willow,mine's still drying - from what I've read,it is prone to holding pockets of water/moisture even when it seems dry.

Andrew

Hi Paul, I suspect thatit depends where the willow was growing as down here it grows on the Somerset Levels which are maily bogland and it is very very wet and stringy. I had a piece in the range for 2 days as an experiment and it was still wet. If it has been growing in a garden it may be a lot better. I keeps it's sap for ever, hence the cricket stumps that supposedly rooted. I have known sticks that are at least 12 months old taking root.

Pete

Thanks Andrew/Pete.
Bodrighy wrote
I had a piece in the range for 2 days as an experiment and it was still wet.
Pete was that piece cut down into round block size or still in log form :?:
I thought i had read on here that Willow was very wet and difficult to turn which was why i only had the 4 logs.
Still i'm in no rush to have a go with it.

Hi Paul
I managed to find Kevin at the end of last year, picked up a piece of sweet chestnut from him to turn a barometer surround for my sister for xmas, very friendly chap also gave me a small piece of yew to turn a few mushrooms.
Can highly recommend a visit if anyone is in the area.

regards

Steve

Hello Steve and welcome :D
I don't think i've welcomed you before :?
I just thought i'd put the site on here as i haven't found anywhere more local for me to go and have a look at what i buy or what the wood,tools,finishes,etc are like,so was quite pleased with what Kevin as available and what he can get.
I was surprised when he said that they have been their for 6-7 years,although the woodturning part is fairly new.

Paul.J":2sf2cs4f said:
Bodrighy wrote
I had a piece in the range for 2 days as an experiment and it was still wet.
Pete was that piece cut down into round block size or still in log form :?:

The piece was a log about a foot long and 4 inches dia. It went on the fire and sizzled as it burnt.

Pete

Bodrighy wrote
It went on the fire and sizzled as it burnt.
Did it put the fire out :lol:
I suppose the only thing in my favour then is that it came out of a back garden.
I will cut it to size to get rid of it as much as poss.So watch this space in a bout 5 years time :lol:

In my experience, like all the water-loving trees, willow dries very slowly, and it seems very reluctantly too. But when it does it's very light for its size - which I suspect supports the idea of a relatively coarse cell structure?
I found it very difficult to get a good finish. I've no idea whether the pieces I acquired are representative, but mine's all coarse-grained stringy material. My technique or the nature of the beast? - not sure which, some of both perhaps, but I couldn't get a finish I was happy with

I guess it looks ok as a rough arty kind of product. But I made an executive decision not to acquire any more!

Paul
Thanks for the welcome :D , I've been lurking for a while but decided to join up towards the end of last year. I'll see if I can get my sister to take a picture of the finished barometer and if so post it on the forum.

regards

Steve

Steve Jones wrote
I'll see if I can get my sister to take a picture of the finished barometer and if so post it on the forum.
Will look forward to it Steve.

Back