At laaaaaaast

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waka

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
As I've not posted any completed projects of late I thought you might be interested in what I've been working on for the last 4 months, not continually I might add.

This project not only consistes of woodwork but also plumbing, electrical and wall building. Before anyone comes back with part "P" or plumbing certification, you'll be pleased to know that although the installations were done by myself they have passed the required certification tests by qualified tradesmen.

The project started out as just another "please decorate the spare bedroom" from HID's, not really my cup of tea, but who are we to argue.

Becasue I live in a Chalet Bungalow there is alwaysplenty of eve space to hold things like tanks, storage for the many clothes that HID's has. previous this wall had white melamine doors that fitted over the frame.

With me playing around, I replaced the frame and made insert doors out of maple

Tony-Woodwork-031.jpg

Becasue the bedroom is quite large although doesn't look it from the pic's I thought I'd also put in and unsuite shower room with wash basin, unfortunately there just wasn't enough room to place a toilet as well, but as Meat Loaf says"2 out of 3 ain't bad".

This precented its own challenges of running the reqiued pipework from the nearest take off point. Also with the shower room being in the middle of the house the ventilation presented another challenge. normally this xcould be done out through the loft, but in my case it was not an option. I eventually ended up running the trunking down through a stud wall and under the bath in the adjacent room.

This pic shows the wash basin , to match the cupboard doors I made the cabinet out of maple, this matches the two pillars each side of the entrance.

Tony-Woodwork-032.jpg

Never having installed a shower before this lead to some choice words on accasions, the mermaid panels are not easy to install if you've never done this before, anyway with advoce from Martin I managed the job.

Tony-Woodwork-033.jpg

The last part of the project was to make a new headboard for the bed, again I choose maple, I was getting worried that it might end up like a Swedish Sauna but it actually all looks quite nice.

Tony-Woodwork-034.jpg

Now this job is put the way I can concentrate on the next project, this is going to be a big one too.

Hope you like the pic's, write up and design.

Waka

Looks really, really good - well done - sauna never crossed my mind.

From a design point of view, two criticisms:

I think the bedside boxes should be lower ie tops flush with or slightly below the mattress top - they are quite close to the edge and there's a real possibility of clattering your head or elbow in the night.

The door handles 'shout' their presence too much for my liking. I assume that the mirror led to the handles or vice versa so I understand the shape choice but the chrome seems a tad bright.

Hope you don't mind me saying - they are both minor points in an otherwise super looking renovation.

Cheers

Tim

Waka, you've built something :shock: (sorry :D )

I like it mate, very nice work and that headboard is really interesting and differnet. Definitely like that a lot!
Having said that, my favourite is the wash basin stand, lovely.

Pukka job, Waka!
Looks great- I've seen it in the flesh and it really does look classy. =D>
What's next?
Philly :D

Thanks for the comments guys really appreciated. Tim I'm certainly not offended by your comments, its always good to get honest response.

Tony":uunieb1u said:
Waka, you've built something :shock: (sorry :D )

I like it mate, very nice work and that headboard is really interesting and differnet. Definitely like that a lot

Got the idea of the headboard from hotels I've stayed in on my travels.

Lord Nibbo":uunieb1u said:
First class, proper job Does the bed head have legs or is it fitted to the wall?

The headboard does have legs and is attached to the base of the bed.

Dom":uunieb1u said:
Nice work Waka, need someone for second finish this weekend, you busy?

Sorry Dom, starting another project tomorrow, then its feet up for the Grand prix on Sunday.

Super job. Choice of wood - lovely. Also like the fittings.

I'm jealous as the doors I put on our downstairs loo are dire; mainly because I couldn't get the ironmongery I wanted and had already made the doors.

Dave

devonwoody":2qjxbh2s said:
Retirement is being put to happy pastime.

Have I missed something, does plumbing also need certifitication?

DW not sure about the plumbing but I just thought I'd get it all checked out as the shower has a pump attached.

Back