Ashley Iles chisels - steel chipping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such a shame Gidon

For anyone thinking of these, mine keep an edge for ever - far longer than my 2 cherries and near to my japanese.

Luck of the draw by the look of it :roll:

not sure i understand the cannelling reference, but from my past steel brewing, you cast or forge the metal, then work it, and stress releive, or anneal and then shape, and then harden for the edges.

changing the hardening by 2-3 degrees should not make a difference to the ability to take and hold an edge. i would wonder whether there is a major problem with the angles that are being used.

not sure where to suggest, but if you see any nooigedagt, buy them
in my experience their swedish steel was real good, and takes a good long lasting edge.

paul :wink:

Ike - hope you are now sorted - remember reading about your problem. I'm kind of put off AI now to be honest - which is a real shame.
Alf - well I tried most angles from 25 - 33 degs. Interesting on the LN's - that surprises me. I reckon it is a glitch somewhere - it does sound likes he's been experimenting recently ...
Mr - let us know how you get on.
Chris - yes was a birthday present actually. I can't really afford the LN's - even though they look lovely! I read an old FWW review of chisels and the only chisels at that time that came out a lot better than the rest were the Japanese chisels. But I guess that all depends on the test ... I would love to get hold of some of those Stanley 750's I think the LN's are based on but haven't looked into that.
Colin - yes please - had a quick look and only saw new ones.
Scott - never heard of them thanks. I like the look of them and it looks like the sides have a sharp bevel. Will look into them ...
Tony - I'm sure I was unlucky :(. Don't let your ones out of your sight :).
Paul - thanks not heard of them. Not sure what you mean by major problem with angle.
Thanks all,
Gidon

Hi gidon
If you dont get any [-o< that you do :) ,
Let me know as I know someone that might be able to or have some ( his a tool dealer ( I have not seen him in a while and forgot :roll: ).
I do hope you get some, good luck :wink:

Gidon wrote:
Ike - hope you are now sorted - remember reading about your problem.

Yes thanks for asking. None of the ferrules have split again since AI replaced them with fully annealed ones. I'm well pleased with the chisels now. I'm still waiting for Mr Barry Isles to honour his invitation and send me the cotton apron I modestly requested. Shan't hold my breath though. 'fraid I don't have much time for folks that don't stick to their word

cheers,

Ike

The chap I saw about the chisels forgot I was coming and had nothing decent :roll:. Thanks for the offer Colin - I have a few other options at the minute but will let you know. Ike I would give him a ring - I'm sure he'll sort you out.
I got a full refund on the chisels - but never claimed my freebie in the end :(.
Cheers
Gidon

Came home today to find a jiffy bag on the step, containing 4 chisels. Two of which are replacements for two that were sent back some time ago due to the steel chipping issue. Also in the bag as I say were two other chisels which Ive never seen the like of before. It may be that these are the original two I sent back ground back to "good" metal and rehandled or they may be of a type Ive just never come accross - dwarf chisels. Either way they look quite handy - has anyone ever come accross anything like these before, or am I right in thinking that they might be the original two rebirthed?

ai.jpg

Edit
Just occurred to me to have a look at the classic hand tools site for AI chisels and it appears that these are "butt chisels". Enlighten me someone :)

I have sen some like it but from Stanley ( USA ) and Crown I think , I think Stanley stopped making them but I could be wrong.
They do look nice ( I must not but any more chisels on sunday 8-[ , Repet 10 times #-o , its still not working )

Back