Ashley Iles bevel edge chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyavast

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently ordered a set of these chisels direct from the factory and received them today. I set about the task of flattening the backs and unfortunately I have found a few faults. To be honest I'm not sure what to do as these are pretty much my first decent chisels, so I'm looking to you fine folks for advice.

First off the majority of the chisels have a very pronounced hollow on the back, but worryingly a couple are visibly curved... almost bent in fact. I expected the backs to be fairly flat. Believe it or not my first set of cheap stanley chisels were quite a bit better. The widest of the set are almost like japanese chisels in the way they are hollowed. A few of the chisels also have pits in their backs, could this be from the hardness testing machine?

So what do I do? Any advice would be welcome, and if anyone has had any dealings with the company regarding matters such as these I would really appreciate your input.

Cheers.

Andy.

Andy I would give them a ring and discuss the problems with them.
From all accounts they are pretty good to deal with. The Rockwell test generally shows up like a small centre punch mark?

I have a set of their Butt Chisels which had none of the problems you have experienced.

Rod

I had some problems with these chisels, Barry Iles replaced them without quibble and sent me a couple of the butt chisels with the replacement - gratis. So 10 out 10 for customer service but I remain less than convinced about the chisels. THe Butt Chisels do seem to be a different beast though.

Cheers Mike

Yep, I thought they were Rockwell testing marks. Exactly as you describe Rod, like centre punch marks. I was surprised they were on the back though where flatness is a necessity, and any type of deep pitting should be avoided.

That certainly is good customer service Mike, to be honest they are not at all as I expected... perhaps I have been corrupted by buying tools from the likes of lie-nielsen and blue spruce. I know they are less than half the price of chisels made by the aforementioned, but I honestly expected better.

cheers.

andy.

The faces of my AIs were a pig to flatten too, though I'd heard they had since improved (perhaps that's just the butt chisels.)
I actually resorted to grinding away the worst problems with a dremel (several were rippled - at the time I likened them to Blackpool sands when the tide was out)

Rest assured, that once done, they're just fine (may take a couple of sharpenings to get back to good metal - just like any other.)

And as a plus, especially after flattening they'll have nice thin side walls. :twisted:

(Though personally I prefer Sorby's (perhaps an irrational antipathy because the AI's did take so much fettling, or maybe I just prefer the handles) so my AIs are earmarked for my brother's toolkit next time I remember.)

[Edit] O - and I thought testing hardness on the face made sense, as that forms the cutting edge.[/Edit]

Cheers
Steve

The issue with the AI's is that they are belt-linished, not surface ground. There is nothing like the precision or fine finish of the LN's in them. If that's important to you then fair enough, however I think the steel is good quality, every single chisel/gouge I believe is hardness tested. Probably they have to be as AI's production methods are very traditional - i.e. no high tech machinery - it's mostly hand processes.

The flatness issue is it seems, a bit of a lottery whether you get good ones or not. I was lucky. However as mentioned, their customer service is equally old-fashioned, and you shouldn't have any problems getting it sorted.

I agree it's disappointing though. I had an issue with ferrules splitting. As it turned out, the brass was too hard (they buy in the ferrules). Barry Iles eventually replaced them with annealed ones after which there has been no problem.

As too the indentations on the face, can somebody explain why not?
Ike

I've got AIs too, and had the same long winded flattening process to put up with too. Less thas impressed frankly, though now they're done I really like the chisels. I felt the edge holding capabilities were a bit below par at first, but after a few sharpenings this seemed to improve (or maybe I subconsciously became gentler with them?).
Overall I couldn't help feeling that had my time been money, then stumping up the extra for a set of "flat-out-of-the-box" LNs would have paid for itself several times over.

Coincidentally, I just ordered a pair of LN skew chisels at West Dean on Sunday. It'll be interesting to get them side by side with the AIs and see how patriotic I am then, since that was the main reason (as well as cost) that I bought AIs in the first place. Ironically, this sentiment has been slightly tarnished since I made my purchase by being informed (by a trustworthy but anonymous source) that though they have the handles applied here, the bevel edged chisels are actually made in Poland.

MarkW":2k7iv6p8 said:
I felt the edge holding capabilities were a bit below par at first, but after a few sharpenings this seemed to improve (or maybe I subconsciously became gentler with them?).

This is common with high carbon steel tools; the tips (after manufacture) become slightly stripped of carbon and/or tempered differently due to being thinner.

This effect is removed after a millimeter or so has been sharpened away.

IIRC Odate speaks of "taming" a new chisel.

BugBear

This effect is removed after a millimeter or so has been sharpened away.

I concur re the AI's. I find honing at 35 degrees rather than 30 helps too, without any noticeable difference in use.

cheers,

ike

MarkW":u7402mug said:
Coincidentally, I just ordered a pair of LN skew chisels at West Dean on Sunday.

I spent a couple of hours flattening the backs of a pair of LN skews that I bought at West Dean. One of them took quite a bit of work and had a noticeable belly when checked against my straight edge, as well as a slight burr on one edge near the tip. I'm not complaining, as I'm sure if I had e-mailed Tom L-N he would have ensured I got replacements. But a bird in the hand etc., I flattened them myself.

With the LN chisels I usually flatten on an 800 grit waterstone until the 400 grit marks left at the factory have been removed across the whole back. With one of the skew chisels today, I went through 10 stone flattening cycles when following David Charlesworth's method. :cry: Normally with a L-N chisel I only require 1 or 2 cycles.

PaulO":3e41m5vt said:
MarkW":3e41m5vt said:
Coincidentally, I just ordered a pair of LN skew chisels at West Dean on Sunday.

With the LN chisels I usually flatten on an 800 grit waterstone until the 400 grit marks left at the factory have been removed across the whole back. With one of the skew chisels today, I went through 10 stone flattening cycles when following David Charlesworth's method. :cry: Normally with a L-N chisel I only require 1 or 2 cycles.

The problem I found with flattening backs on waterstones is that the stone becomes concave very quickly and will wear the chisel back along the edges. I now use the 'scary sharp' method of w/d paper glued to a bit of float glass which I find much better. BTW, I use the Charlesworthian method of flattening backs which actually produces a minute hollow in the length - Rob

MarkW":2zgvm8g4 said:
Coincidentally, I just ordered a pair of LN skew chisels at West Dean

You mean you don't have a grinder? Converting a "normal" chisel to skew is easy! I don't (I have to say) understand the price difference on the skew chisel, unless it's a product of the stock control issues.

Skews are 41.25 each (halving the pair price) where straights are 37.55 (for the 1/2" size)

BugBear

bugbear":1x2hmvt5 said:
MarkW":1x2hmvt5 said:

You mean you don't have a grinder? Converting a "normal" chisel to skew is easy! I don't (I have to say) understand the price difference on the skew chisel, unless it's a product of the stock control issues.

Skews are 41.25 each (halving the pair price) where straights are 37.55 (for the 1/2" size)

BugBear

Yep, it's totally a numbers game. If they made more, they'd be cheaper

Aidan

bugbear":g97ojme5 said:
MarkW":g97ojme5 said:

You mean you don't have a grinder? BugBear

Well, yes, but it's a pretty poor excuse for one and the thought of attacking 40 quidsworth of LN chisel with it fetches me out in a cold sweat. 8-[

As to price, I got them with the show discount so they worked out a bit cheaper than the standard 1/2" would normally be. Haven't got them yet though since Mike didn't have any by the time I made my purchase late on Sunday. Ironic really since I mainly bought them so as not to come home empty-handed :roll:

yes, so desperate to bring something home he forgot to shove me down the slope....

Does any one have the contact details for ashley isles? I bought a set of these chisels a couple of years ago and the ferrules have all split. I've sent a couple of e-mails but heard nothing back. Just wanted to check i've been sending it to the right place. Thanks!

bugbear":3jzfmyj6 said:
MarkW":3jzfmyj6 said:

BugBear

Then again you could buy the long handled version for £29.95 each from Axminster and convert them. The longer handles would probably be an advantage for cleaning dovetails but if you prefer the shorter handles, they and only $7.50 each from the L-N toolworks.
Jon.

Latest posts

Back