Ash vessel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornucopia

Established Member
Reaction score
hello folks

here is an ash vessel which I have finished recently, it is turned cross grain and is part of the lightning ash tree that I have been working on which for those that haven't been following the project on my facebook page is/was a giant ash tree with very unusual markings that was hit by lightning.
9" tall by 7" wide finished with woodoc 10

Good to see you haven't lost your touch George :D
This is a beautiful piece all round George.Is that the woods natural colour,looks gorgeous :D

Good to get some stock big enough to host something that size cross grain, certainly gives an interesting display of grain figuring.

The colour cast is certainly much richer than the norm from Ash from around here.

That looks great - lovely form and I like the wavy rim. Nice finish too!

thank you for your comments

Chalk and cheese Phil.p - osmo polyx is a hardwax oil, woodoc is a polyurethane based wiping oil. polyx biggest problem is its thickness, its o.k on ash or oak but anything closer grained it struggles.
the "brains" at osmo advised me to not sand past 180 and or use danish oil instead!! :roll: :roll: :roll: LOL

For me this is one of the best turned items I've seen.
It's simplicity of form is the key, it's all in it's elegance. The wood is allowed to tell it's own story, lovely =D>

Beautiful piece George, the slight cup to the rim, sort of natural edged like, (at least, it appears to have one! :) ) how was that done?

cornucopia":2i3gzjmu said:
thank you for your comments

Chalk and cheese Phil.p - osmo polyx is a hardwax oil, woodoc is a polyurethane based wiping oil. polyx biggest problem is its thickness, its o.k on ash or oak but anything closer grained it struggles.
the "brains" at osmo advised me to not sand past 180 and or use danish oil instead!! :roll: :roll: :roll: LOL
Thanks - I have no experience of Woodoc. I use Danish and Osmo - I go to 240/320 and 0000 wire wool, and I've not had a problem with either. I wonder why they say don't go past 180?

really inspiring, for all the reasons already posted.

having just completed the workshop rebuild my lathe is coming out of storage :)

Back