Are you thinking about getting a Festool MFT 3?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your comment. I was considering a table saw but as I already have the tracksaw and a 40 year old workmate this could be the better option for now as I am 'between' houses.

i think that fully open, the workmate must have a top size of 2ft x 1ft, so the overhang isnt huge. if it is a bit unstable, you can always add some support battons underneath.

Stu_2":18rh5zi1 said:
Afternoon Mike

P&P is £15 to most mainland postcodes, excluding Highlands & Islands etc.

Cheers
Stu
I haven't forgotten about it, i still want one but i'm currently saving for a new car. So belts have been tightened for now, so no new toys yet

carlb40":3quvroz6 said:
I haven't forgotten about it, i still want one but i'm currently saving for a new car. So belts have been tightened for now, so no new toys yet
No worries, whenever you're ready. :)

Hi Stu_2

I'm after one of your table tops for the Ketter. If you are still doing them please call on 07905 214823.

Regards, Mark

divein":ppa0995m said:
I know this is an old thread but has anyone tried the mft or equivalent with a B&d 625 workmate? I presume that there would be stability issues with the overhang.

Only just seen your question and perhaps you've already found your answer, but in case you haven't, I can confirm that the MFT top works perfectly on top of a B & D workmate. The overhang isn't an issue whatsoever and the top takes seconds to secure. I use just two of the Festool screw clamps towards the back of the top. In fact, I find the MFT top so useful I use it all the time on the workmate for pretty much everything.

JJ1":35flr2wy said:
divein":35flr2wy said:
I know this is an old thread but has anyone tried the mft or equivalent with a B&d 625 workmate? I presume that there would be stability issues with the overhang.

Only just seen your question and perhaps you've already found your answer, but in case you haven't, I can confirm that the MFT top works perfectly on top of a B & D workmate. The overhang isn't an issue whatsoever and the top takes seconds to secure. I use just two of the Festool screw clamps towards the back of the top. In fact, I find the MFT top so useful I use it all the time on the workmate for pretty much everything.

Hi JJ,

How do you make clearance under the top, for the clamps, and any bench dogs, that you use in the bench holes? Do you use two Workmates, and span them with the top?
I am not being critical, but unless you use the dog holes in the MFT top, (Or in one of Stu's replicas!) you might as well just clamp a piece of 18mm MDF to a workmate.

I use two cheap Workmate copies. Despite being somewhat flimsy, in comparison to a proper Workmate, they are no less stable than the MFT itself. So on fine days I work in the yard, without moving the MFT from the shop. (I do make use of bench dogs, which means I don't need the MFT fence and protractor.)

John

Benchwayze":3lutaiap said:
JJ1":3lutaiap said:
divein":3lutaiap said:

Hi JJ,

How do you make clearance under the top, for the clamps, and any bench dogs, that you use in the bench holes? Do you use two Workmates, and span them with the top?
I am not being critical, but unless you use the dog holes in the MFT top, (Or in one of Stu's replicas!) you might as well just clamp a piece of 18mm MDF to a workmate.

I use two cheap Workmate copies. Despite being somewhat flimsy, in comparison to a proper Workmate, they are no less stable than the MFT itself. So on fine days I work in the yard, without moving the MFT from the shop. (I do make use of bench dogs, which means I don't need the MFT fence and protractor.)

John

Hi John,

I can't remember if the MFT top I use is the 800 or 1080 model. I went for the largest one I could find at the time and it's 116cm in length. My workmate top is about 84cm long so I've got enough overhang at each end to allow me to clamp it to the workmate top. I use a pair of the Festool Screw Clamps, positioned about 6 inches in from the back of the MFT top. That holds the top to the workmate securely enough for most of my needs.
When using the TS55 for cutting sheet goods, I cut with the sheet overhanging the front edge to avoid cutting into the table and I use the Veritas Parf and bench dogs to support the guide rail and sheet I'm cutting. I tend to use the 1400mm rail supported at each end and there's enough overhang at each end to allow me to screw one of the Festool knobs into each of the Parf dogs for greater accuracy. The shorter bench dogs that support the sheet I'm cutting are just dropped through the MFT holes and I don't bother securing those from underneath, which, the workmate top may get in the way for some of the holes anyway. The guide rail is clamped in place easy enough, again, thanks to the MFT top's overhang.
For clamping things on top of the top I use Festool Fixed Clamps. I don't often bother securing those from underneath and the workmate top would prevent it anyway in places, but, I occasionally secure them if there is access from under the particular hole I'm using, just to prevent the clamps lifting the workpiece slightly.

Other than the Veritas dogs mentioned above I don't use any dogs that need to protrude under the MFT top, for planing,etc as I'm in the process of making a proper, more substantial bench for that.

I hope this answers your question. I'm away from a computer now for a while so may not be able to reply for a short while.

Cheers JJ...

Okay... Now I see. I should have read your post more attentively! :mrgreen: :oops:

I thought of using my workmate like that, but I was worried about the overhang being a problem, so I bought the two cheap
Work- thingies! It's a golden solution actually, and I get by just fine.

I finally started my own new hand bench. But I shan't be using it until my new shed arrives, and is lined out. That's going to be my new workshop-extension, solely for the lathe and hand tool work. Well that's the plan at least! :lol:

All the best..
John

Stu_2

Delighted this thread has come back to the fore, as I only joined UKW recently. Are you still making these tops for others?

Thanks,
Terry.

What a gent Stu is!

I ordered a top from him and in the message mentioned I was in two minds about picking it up as I am only about 25 miles from him. He mentioned he would be in my neck of the woods today and so I met him in the car park of a local retail park at lunch time so I could pick my top up. What a great guy, we chatted for nearly an hour and he gave me lots of useful tips, which as a novice woodworker I really appreciated.

Now all I have to do is build the base for it to sit on.

Terry.

"What a gent Stu is!"

I will second that statement. I met Stuart afterward Wizzard did and we spent 3 hours chatting. Hopefully we both learned something new and a nice afternoon was had by all.

Got my new tables to play with to boot.

Thanks Stu. I'll let you know how I've got on after my hols but they look top notch, especially the detail in the rails. A lot of effort for not a lot of money.

Mark G

Hi Stuart,

I've just joined the forum having found this thread regarding your 'MFT-style' work surface.
Thanks for providing the excellent video demo.

Today, my Son & I have both purchased the Keter Workbench & would be interested in purchasing 2 of these units if at all possible.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks & regards,
Bill

Back