Are you thinking about getting a Festool MFT 3?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stu_2":2prs982v said:
+1. Using these MFT-style work surfaces with a TS55 has transformed the way I'm able to work. I'm limited for space in my workshop, and these have made all the difference.

I have all the usual TS 55 accessories, and can also vouch for Peter Parfitt's Parf Dogs, which are an excellent value accessory for these tables. One thing to note though is that if you have the current Bosch plunge saw, you will need to have a thin piece of material to lay between your track and the Parf dogs, as the sole plate will not clear them without a spacer strip.

I produce my own 'MFT-style' work surface, and have just started to produce them for others, too. They are 1220 x 600 x 18 Norbord Pro MDF. Holes are 20mm diameter at 100mm centres, which gives a healthy 66 holes per work surface. I use CNC machined templates, which allows me to produce perfectly aligned holes. They're are various options depending on what they're mounted to, but a standard top as described would be £35. I personally use a 1220 x 600 folding table by 'Life-Time' (Costco). I've just made one to mount to Keter folding workbench (Screwfix), and was very impressed by it. Very versatile and sturdy bit of kit, which folds away to a fairly small size 'case' in seconds. Only concern for me would be the availability of spare clamps, as they are proprietary to that bench.

If this helps anyone, feel free to contact me.

Cheers
Stu
I think i could be interested in one of your tops within the next month :)

I'd be very interested in one of your tops too Stu. I've been looking at this table as an alternative to an MFT/3:
http://www.powertoolsgb.co.uk/cgi-bin/e ... db_pid=282
It seems quite substantial, probably less wobbly than the MFT/3. I was thinking about the possibility of drilling the top, but that steel edge is a bit of a problem, so one of your tops raised on a 50mm framework would be ideal.

Any chance of some pictures of the keeter/mft 3 setup

sounds very interesting!

Adidat

PCB. I am quite impressed overall with my MFT. However it falls over on stability. That's why most users make some form of wooden stand, on lockable castors.
That folding work table doesn't look as if it will be any different. I don't know that of course, but I'd want to investigate further. I knew about the MFT shortcoming beforehand, so I decided on what to do about it. It's your choice of course, but try and see one first is my advice.

pcb1962":16r3p2fr said:
I'd be very interested in one of your tops too Stu. I've been looking at this table as an alternative to an MFT/3:
http://www.powertoolsgb.co.uk/cgi-bin/e ... db_pid=282
It seems quite substantial, probably less wobbly than the MFT/3. I was thinking about the possibility of drilling the top, but that steel edge is a bit of a problem, so one of your tops raised on a 50mm framework would be ideal.

Morning mate

I can add support rails to the bottom to raise it by 50mm, which would be the minimum to allow you to use rail clamps as general table clamps. However, I've been adding support rails which raise the table by 58mm (55mm rail + 3mm rubber for anti-slip).

The table you've linked to is 1100x700, so the standard 1220x600 top would be ok. I think that angled legs would help to add stability. However, that table is over-priced in my opinion. I use these 1220x600 folding tables by LifeTime. The table is actually a lot more sturdy than it looks in the pics, and I've been happy with stability, although it obviously isn't going to be rock solid. I would like to use the bigger 150 table, but I'm limited on space, and the 120 is a perfect fit for me.

I can see you're in Surrey, so you're more than welcome to come and have a look at my setup and check it out for yourself. I'll also post-up some pics later today.

Cheers
Stu

adidat":39vt453k said:
Any chance of some pictures of the keeter/mft 3 setup

sounds very interesting!

Adidat
Morning Adidat

I'll give my mate a shout and get some pics for you, and post them later today.

Cheers
Stu

i would be interested to see some pics on the lifetime table if possible.

Evening Gents

Rather than posting pics that can't show stability, I'll try and post a quick video. I don't have a camcorder but I do have a GoPro, so I'll give it go now.

John has given me his Keter, so I'll be able to show that as well as the LifeTime table.

Hopefully this won't take too long, but the GoPro takes excellent quality video, even on it's lower settings, so it may take a while to upload.

Cheers
Stu

Ok Stu... You sold me one.

That will be ideal for using in my back yard, on nice days. As for space, I have just about as much free floor area as you do! Frustrating at times, and I turn the air blue. You seem to manage it better than me. :lol:

Sometime in May will be fine. Or when you can fit it in.

Nothing wrong with the video either. :)

Afternoon Stu
Brilliant. Thanks for taking the time & the trouble. I will have one to fit the Keeter when it suits you. I do not know how to PM you, if that is how you want formal confirmation (I am 78 this year & have only just got used to electricity!!!).
Slinger

Benchwayze":363avp9k said:
Ok Stu... You sold me one.

That will be ideal for using in my back yard, on nice days. As for space, I have just about as much free floor area as you do! Frustrating at times, and I turn the air blue. You seem to manage it better than me. :lol:

Sometime in May will be fine. Or when you can fit it in.

Nothing wrong with the video either. :)

That's exactly where I use mine, honestly don't know how I did without it! :) Currently refurbishing and shrinking a 6' Teak garden table to 5' and the MFT on the Keter has been a godsend. I did send 1 bit of table whizzing into Stu_2's garden with the belt sander when it slipped the clamp I hadn't tightened enough.

Jon.

Benchwayze":8jb1pdgp said:
...Nothing wrong with the video either. :)
Thanks John. It was nearly 3GB, and took over an hour to upload, then gave an error message. :shock: Managed to sort it in the end. :)

I’ll give you shout at the end of the month.

Cheers
Stu

Slinger":8jb1pdgp said:
… (I am 78 this year & have only just got used to electricity!!!).
Slinger
Quality :)

Glad the video helped. I’ll send you a PM & email (assuming your profile allows members to send you a mail) with my phone number. Let me know if you have a problem receiving either.

Cheers
Stu

Okeys Stu... Many thanks... Could you put the two runners across-ways. Or are you going to leave that to me? The reason I ask is that I have two Workmates that I will use occasionally to hold the drilled top.

Skeety,

Just been using the MFT proper with my Domino. Making a garden 'hop-up'. There are slots everywhere but where they need to be. Finally worked it out in the end, but I had to fill in a few spare mortices! Good job it's only a lash-up, meant to be left outside. For serious work, I think I'll do a sketch-up! My own fault for using 3 x 2. It was trying to remember how the faces oreiented that caused the problem. :oops:

The Domino isn't exactly 'fall-off-a-log' easy at first. But I think I have it now! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Slinger":25941v0i said:
Afternoon Stu
Brilliant. Thanks for taking the time & the trouble. I will have one to fit the Keeter when it suits you. I do not know how to PM you, if that is how you want formal confirmation (I am 78 this year & have only just got used to electricity!!!).
Slinger

I got used to it Slinger (Woods?)

It was shocking when I discovered what it could do!

'Hookie'

Latest posts

Back