Are we really woodworkers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brucio

Established Member
Reaction score
Can we scrollers really call ourselves "woodworkers"?
Yes, I know that our scrollsaw is a very versatile tool, and we use it to cut wood, plastic, metal, etc.
We cut jigsaws puzzles, segmentation, intarsia, portraits, landscapes, clocks, plaques, wooden toys, models, wooden interlocking puzzles (have I missed anything?).
Using blades that look like a human hair (ala Carter J), to monsters like I use (1/8" deep), we slice through material as thin as 1/32" veneer to 2" oak-or what's the name of the very hard stuff- "African Ironwood"?
But anyway, apart from the toys and puzzles, most of our stuff is two-dimensional, and meant to be looked at.
You can't use our work as tables, chairs, sofas, cupboards, wardrobes, beds, or even fully timbered houses. These things are made by proper woodworkers, carpenters, joiners; call them what you will.
I couldn't make anything a proper woodworker could make, but I can make something that the same woodworker would find a challenge. I can make things on my scrollsaw.
You do, too.
And because we do these things using mainly wood, I believe we can call ourselves "woodworkers".
But I still think a rabbet is a small animal that runs round a field at dusk...
Bruce

Brucio":qyw37ehz said:
But I still think a rabbet is a small animal that runs round a field at dusk...

Well if you live in Britain, it is. Only our cousins over the pond call a rebate by the name of a soft furry animal.

regards

Brian

I live near Chicago and we have three or four woodworking clubs in our area. I'm pretty active in one where we get about 60 for our monthly meetings. I usually show off my latest puzzles, get a lot of "ooohs" and "aaahs" and many questions.

Then I usually leave before the speaker for the evening. I not only don't know what a woodworker's rabbit is, but words like biscuit joiner, dados, veneers and many others go right over my head. I did stick around one time to see one of our members describe how he made a canoe from scratch. That was interesting!

Even so, I, and the other members of the club, consider me a "woodworker".

Have phun..... Carter

I haven't been on here before, I'm one of the weird spinny people from next door .. wood turners I think we are often called ... do we create something from a blank piece of wood? .. that makes us woodworkers in my book :!:

I don't own a scroll saw, and have never tried it, but have seen some of the beautiful things you chaps can do!! and I am hoping to try it sometime. so my vote? 'wood art' IS wood work.

Anyone who can accuratly cut small jigsaw pieces or make things like this?

image007.jpg
fretwork_l.jpg

That IS woodwork!!

Since my entire shop was built around the scroll saw. I harvest all my own wood, saw it into boards, dry the boards. I resaw them with my bandsaw and plane them to thickness with a planner. I pre sand them with my drum sander and cut them to final size with a tablesaw. After all the fret work is done I finish sand with a plam sander. If that aint woodworking then I don't know what is. :D

Regards,
Terry

I'd say we are woodworkers, sure. We're just not carpenters, cabinet-makers, joiners, roofers, joisters, maysters, roofers or framers... :?

Back