Are flagpoles ok or am i being prickly?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats a shame is those who fly the flag of St George during the course of the year (not special events etc) are deemed racists and not patriotic as they may well be.

Society has dictated this trend, which is a real shame to be honest. To the original OP let him fly the flag with pride, if it is noisey just tell him its noisey and ask him if can they tie back whatever needs to be tied back to make it quieter.

Alan Jones":2aok12rz said:
If the sight of your nations flag upsets you, then youve got bigger problems than your neighbours flagpole :(

Alan Jones":2aok12rz said:
what a shame people in this country havnt got the same sense of national pride

Alan, quite obviously you didn't read all of my post, especially the part where I stated that I am extremely patriotic. I will have no debate with anyone of that aspect - patriotic more than you have any idea about me.

I have no problem with the Cross of St George - in the right place, on the right pole and hoisted for the right reasons it is superb - agreed.

My original question was about the flagpole and flag, not requiring any questioning about the sense of patriotism, which appears to have hijacked the thread. It could have been any flag and I wonder if your answer would have been the same had it been another country's.

I think the comments made by others regarding reasonableness (of me towards others and them towards me) are far more pertinent to my question and I thank those who took the time to post a reply. I am aware of the local planning regs, it does contravene them and they have neither applied nor been granted permission. I am not aware of other neighbours' thoughts, but I shall make a few discreet enquiries before chatting with the neighbours in question.

If its realy causing you that much concern then go and have a polite word
with them addressing the distress it is causing you .
They will appreciate that much more than having someone grass them up to the council, after which your reasonable neighbours may not be as reasonable.

Alan Jones":1w932bsm said:
If its realy causing you that much concern then go and have a polite word
with them addressing the distress it is causing you .
They will appreciate that much more than having someone grass them up to the council, after which your reasonable neighbours may not be as reasonable.

If they are otherwise nice folk - have a polite word. They may be completely oblivious to the noise\etc issues that you are experiencing.

I had a similar issue with some new neighbours who had moved into a house at the end of a private drive, yards from our house. When they exit this drive they are coming out on the right hand side, but rather than give way and make sure nothing is coming along on the left (and obscured by their wall) - they'd shoot out at 20mph and already had a few close calls.

On Fri - I saw one of them coming out and waved him down. After the usual - "You moved in, blah blah" I asked him if he'd do me a favour and then explained they were exiting on the RHS, didn't have right of way and there had already been a few close calls. He was apologetic and said he'd have a word with the drivers in the household. I didn't think much would happen, but later in the day Wifey came home and said "I've seen them lot coming out of the drive and giving way - did you have word or something?" At which point I thought wow.

HIH

Dibs

Dibs that is deinitely the best course of action.
Years ago I had the next door neighbour at our previous house come round to inform me that the dog I was looking after was howling as soon as I went out and it was waking her daughter up who was a nurse on nightshift.
I apologised profusely and assured her it wouldnt happen again and took the dog with me wherever I went after that and have had the greatest of respect for her ever since.
At this house I was investigated by the council because of a snoop complaining about the industrial woodworking machinery in my home workshop. The council werent interested once they had investigated what I did and were happy it was for hobby use , but I made it my business to find out who the snitch was and was less than happy when I found out who it was

Just as long as they don't fly the Union Flag Upside-Bl**dy-down' (which is usually the case :evil: ), then I am happy. :wink:

However, where I live residents need Council Planning Permission to install a flagpole.

I really can't hazard a guess why this is, other than to ensure it is safe, and not likely to 'bean' anyone on the head in rough weather!

John

matt":3tkj4lba said:
what a shame people in this country havnt got the same sense of national pride as other countries have

Like most American things, it'll take a while to catch on over here...

I don't know so much about that one Matt. That ruddy expression 'incentivise' (or is that ize?) seems to have soon caught on. It's the 'darling' of far too many TV presenters and political spouters whenever they get chance to use this non-word! Even my USA spell-checker underlines it!

Why the heck can't they just say 'encourage'? :evil:

John :cry:

Benchwayze":nqlngtdi said:
matt":nqlngtdi said:
what a shame people in this country havnt got the same sense of national pride as other countries have

I don't know so much about that one Matt. That ruddy expression 'incentivise' (or is that ize?) seems to have soon caught on. It's the 'darling' of far too many TV presenters and political spouters whenever they get chance to use this non-word! Even my USA spell-checker underlines it!

"Motivate(s)".

I think the suggestions that said check anonymously with the council first to see what is and isn't allowed are sensible, as is then having a nice chat with your neighbour to express your concern. Leaving aside all the patriotic mumbo jumbo consider it as an object added to their property, I've seen houses round here with flags and some look good, others look rubbish and out of place, I've also seen gardens with stunning trees in them and other houses that have trees in 10ft long gardens that are as high as the house and utterly out of place.

The flag and pole you've described seem to fall into the latter and he may be willing to erect a smaller one instead - you wouldn't expect to get away with erecting a mobile phone mast in your front yard would you?

matt":pvh5djb6 said:
Benchwayze":pvh5djb6 said:
matt":pvh5djb6 said:

"Motivate(s)".

Or even

Inspire, stimulate, induce, trigger-off, egg-on, prompt:

Anything but incentivize! The word isnt even in my copy of Roget's! :lol: :lol:

Cheers Matt.

John :)

Back